containing; comprehensive; all-embracing; extensive; taking in
predictable
credible
continuous
inclusive

Difference between "strange" and "odd"

Action: He arrives in California at 10:00. | The skating pair?
Difference between "strange" and "odd" #1 (permalink) Fri May 07, 2010 8:19 am   Difference between "strange" and "odd"

ESL/EFL Test #146 "Using Adjectives (5)", question 4

That movie was not normal. It was strange and ..........

(a) neutral
(b) odd
(c) ordinary
(d) common

ESL/EFL Test #146 "Using Adjectives (5)", answer 4

That movie was not normal. It was strange and odd.

Correct answer: (b) odd

_________________________

What is the difference between "strange" and "odd" in the same sentence? Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a

Difference between "strange" and "odd" #2 (permalink) Fri May 07, 2010 15:48 pm   Difference between "strange" and "odd"

Nothing really-- but this sort of formation is reasonably common (particularly in legal language) as a mode of emphasis.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between "strange" and "odd" #3 (permalink) Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 am   Difference between "strange" and "odd"

I think I got it. “Strange and odd” is a legal collocation, isn’t it? Furthermore, it is used like “rules and regulations” and “terms and conditions”.

Would you mind recommending some comprehensive books about them? What about English Collocations in Use by Michael McCarthy, for example? So far I haven’t found any “strange and odd” in either the OALD or the CALD.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a

Difference between "strange" and "odd" #4 (permalink) Sun May 09, 2010 9:37 am   Difference between "strange" and "odd"

It's not quite the same as 'rules and regulations' or 'terms and conditions'.
'Strange' and 'odd' are not part of a pair which often appear together like a collocation (and it is certainly not a legal expression).

Here, it just serves to add emphasis to how very different from 'normal' the movie was.

The two words are more frequently used apart from each other, like standard synonyms.
_________________

Difference between "strange" and "odd" #5 (permalink) Tue May 11, 2010 9:55 am   Difference between "strange" and "odd"

First of all, I would like to thank Beeesneees for providing and clarifying your answer, which is very helpful in a way. Of course, I would like to thank Mister Micawber for his reply too.

However, what about categorizing the words formation such as “strange and odd” as either Scesis onomaton or Pleonasm? I found both, Scesis onomaton and Pleonasm, covered words that had similar meanings and were used together for emphases. Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a

Difference between "strange" and "odd" #6 (permalink) Tue May 11, 2010 20:25 pm   Difference between "strange" and "odd"

Scesis onomaton comprise a string of similar phrases, with the verb omitted. The verb is not omitted here.

I would accept is as being pleonism.
.
_________________

We always use "is a" not "are a"...Sentence errorDifference between "a good many" and "many a good"?I make gravy when I roast a turkey. vs I make lights when I roast a turkey."No sweat" does it the same as "without breaking a sweat"?You'll find a date to the prom if you can fix your intro.shouldn't have any more beer?You really burned your fingers this time?Meaning of "neat and tidy"'An average joe' vs 'An average machine'Meaning of revolutionizedMeaning of illnessAren't bumble bees a kind of a wild insects that are not kept by humans?