towards a lower place, position or section
likely
downward
previously
minutely

On the corner vs. in the corner

Is the structure of the sentence "from--to--to"? | How can you possibly sprint up slowly?
On the corner vs. in the corner #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:25 am   On the corner vs. in the corner

ESL/EFL Test "Common Prepositions", question 1

I live in the big house ......... the corner.

(a) on
(b) in
(c) of
(d) to

ESL/EFL Test "Common Prepositions", answer 1

I live in the big house on the corner.

Correct answer: (a) on

I live in the big house in the corner.
_________________________

Why we had used here on the corner and not in the corner.
Rodriges

On the corner vs. in the corner #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:03 am   On the corner vs. in the corner

.
We use on here, because the type of corner (a street corner) does not have a significant 3rd dimension (height)-- it is merely two-dimensional, so that an object would be on it.

If we are speaking of a box, room, or other enclosed object with a relatively significant vertical dimension, then we use the preposition in: The broom is in the corner. This corner has a quality of enclosure.

There are occasions when either preposition will serve:

I was caught on the crosswalk by oncoming traffic.
I was caught in the crosswalk by oncoming traffic.

Such cases represent situations in which the speaker has an option of considering the dimensions: here, in the first sentence the speaker is considering his position on that section of the road surface, while in the second sentence the speaker is likely thinking about his position between the ends of the crosswalk.
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
On the corner vs. in the corner #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:53 am   On the corner vs. in the corner

Thank you Rodriges,
It's Clear now.
Maia K

Location: Beijing, China

On the corner vs. in the corner #4 (permalink) Thu Mar 25, 2010 13:35 pm   On the corner vs. in the corner

Please listen to my recording and respond with a voice message too. Many thanks.
Neeleng

On the corner vs. in the corner #5 (permalink) Thu Mar 25, 2010 13:42 pm   On the corner vs. in the corner

More examples of what, Neeleng?
_________________

On the corner vs. in the corner #6 (permalink) Thu Mar 25, 2010 14:18 pm   On the corner vs. in the corner

Hi Dear Mister Micawber,
Your clear explanation made it easy for me to understand and use this confusing matter.
Many thanks,
Morteza
Morteza

Location: Iran

On the corner vs. in the corner #7 (permalink) Thu Mar 25, 2010 16:01 pm   On the corner vs. in the corner

Not wishing to be argumentative, but if you lived in a big house in the corner of a cul-de-sac ...........
_________________

Sentence: Nantucket, which is a little island 20 miles off Cape Cod, MassachusettWhat is the use of phrasal verbs?Three rates here: money factor, annual interest rate, and local new-car loan...What "tying up" mean? tie up?What is destination charge? Meaning the delivery fee.'Christina is studying for her chemistry' vs 'She studies for her chemistry'Why do we use marine mammals?Does the "the select few concepts" refer to the 'viable ideas'?What does the "work above and beyond the call of duty" mean?What is a fine?What is the meaning of 'I've really had enough of all your excuses?What does took its eye off the ball mean?Meaning of 'Many suppliers are reserving judgment until the strategy...'