Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

act of deriving; speculation; drawing of a conclusion
chef
inference
exposure
fleet
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

shouldn't have any more beer?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
We always use "is a" not "are a"... | Difference between "a good many" and "many a good"?
listening exercises
shouldn't have any more beer? #1 (permalink) Mon May 10, 2010 6:02 am   shouldn't have any more beer?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #232 "Adverbs of Quantity (5)", question 2

You really shouldn't have ......... more beer. You're really drunk and I think you should go home.

(a) much
(b) fewer
(c) any
(d) none

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #232 "Adverbs of Quantity (5)", answer 2

You really shouldn't have any more beer. You're really drunk and I think you should go home.

Correct answer: (c) any

Your answer was: incorrect
You really shouldn't have much more beer. You're really drunk and I think you should go home.

hey....it's my idea or sometimes the sofware is wrong.....'cause in this particular occasion or in some others......i made sure my answer was right....thanks in advance
Believe In Me
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

shouldn't have any more beer? #2 (permalink) Mon May 10, 2010 6:33 am   shouldn't have any more beer?

The software isn't wrong. You said 'much'. The answer is 'any'.
Language Coach

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
shouldn't have any more beer? #3 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 4:38 am   shouldn't have any more beer?

You could really use both, but "any" sounds more natural. If you said "much" people would still understand you but "any" would be preferred.
HelloJordan
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

shouldn't have any more beer? #4 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 7:24 am   shouldn't have any more beer?

I disagree that you could use either here.
The use of 'much' is grammatically correct but in this context you cannot use it, as it changes the meaning. In the example the person is so drunk they need to go home.
Using 'any' means they shouldn't have another drink at all.
Using 'much' means that they should have one or two more drinks before going home -- which is not the intended meaning here.
Language Coach

shouldn't have any more beer? #5 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 8:52 am   shouldn't have any more beer?

Absolutely.

We always use "is a" not "are a"... | Difference between "a good many" and "many a good"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
bought vs broughtAny idear or any idea...?Test incompl/inter-840, User's Answer 4What does wisdom mean?What do coal and cubicle mean?Test incompl/elem-247, User's Answer 10Sentence errorI make gravy when I roast a turkey. vs I make lights when I roast a turkey.The skating pair?Action: He arrives in California at 10:00."No sweat" does it the same as "without breaking a sweat"?You really burned your fingers this time?Meaning of revolutionized