Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to design; to mold; to form; to direct; to be formed
shape
irritate
involve
source
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does 'helped his friend off' mean?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Who vs. whom | What does appropriate mean?
listening exercises
What does 'helped his friend off' mean? #1 (permalink) Wed May 19, 2010 15:05 pm   What does 'helped his friend off' mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #563 "English Slang Idioms (305)", question 1

He helped his friend off the ground after he had been knocked down in the fight. His friend said, "Wow, I thought I could take that guy but apparently not. He sure can ......... a punch," and rubbed his face.

(a) package
(b) pack
(c) post
(d) pump

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #563 "English Slang Idioms (305)", answer 1

He helped his friend off the ground after he had been knocked down in the fight. His friend said, "Wow, I thought I could take that guy but apparently not. He sure can pack a punch," and rubbed his face.

Correct answer: (b) pack

what does'helped his friend off' and 'i could take that guy' means?
Stupy

What does 'helped his friend off' mean? #2 (permalink) Wed May 19, 2010 17:36 pm   What does 'helped his friend off' mean?

Helped his friend /off the ground - he assisted his friend to get back up from the floor after he had been knocked down.
I could take that guy - A colloquial term meaning I could have won a fight against that man.
Language Coach

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Who vs. whom | What does appropriate mean?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Count nouns -- is or are?Why the answer is "band"? The same meaning with ring?How to use the "marry to"?The week of the 12th.Do vests have sleeves?The tallest building in the country. vs The tallest building of the country."too many people" vs "a lot many people"Doesn't a comma come after when?One "I" reduntant!His father is ... M.L.A.Loaded car?make vs. doBorrow vs. lend