Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

lucrative; paying; rewarding; beneficial; producing income
fundamental
collectible
narrow
profitable
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Count nouns -- is or are?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
The week of the 12th. | What does applause mean?
listening exercises
Count nouns -- is or are? #1 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 8:21 am   Count nouns -- is or are?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #213 "Non-Count and Count Nouns (2)", question 8

A ......... is a count noun. We often open these to let fresh air into our homes.

(a) dust
(b) plastic
(c) window
(d) heat

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #213 "Non-Count and Count Nouns (2)", answer 8

A window is a count noun. We often open these to let fresh air into our homes.

Correct answer: (c) window

Your answer was: correct

Hello,

Is there a mistake in the second sentence? I think it should be read “I often open this to let fresh air into my home”.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

Count nouns -- is or are? #2 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 9:08 am   Count nouns -- is or are?

We've recently had a similar conversation about another question, Bhikku. I agree with you that using the singular form to carry through the entire question seems more logical.
However in this example the second sentence gives an additional clue with regard to the correct answer in the first sentence and even though the singular/plural does not match, it is not strictly incorrect -- you have to think of it in these terms:
"The answer is window. This is what 'windows' are."
Language Coach

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
The week of the 12th. | What does applause mean?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
'a few apples' vs 'a lots of apples'Why the answer is "band"? The same meaning with ring?How to use the "marry to"?Do vests have sleeves?The tallest building in the country. vs The tallest building of the country."too many people" vs "a lot many people"What does 'helped his friend off' mean?What does appropriate mean?His father is ... M.L.A.Parents mean old parents?Difference between vision and viewWhat does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?I can do it...