lucrative; paying; rewarding; beneficial; producing income
fundamental
collectible
narrow
profitable

Count nouns -- is or are?

The week of the 12th. | What does applause mean?
Count nouns -- is or are? #1 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 8:21 am   Count nouns -- is or are?

ESL/EFL Test #213 "Non-Count and Count Nouns (2)", question 8

A ......... is a count noun. We often open these to let fresh air into our homes.

(a) dust
(b) plastic
(c) window
(d) heat

ESL/EFL Test #213 "Non-Count and Count Nouns (2)", answer 8

A window is a count noun. We often open these to let fresh air into our homes.

Correct answer: (c) window

_________________________

Is there a mistake in the second sentence? I think it should be read “I often open this to let fresh air into my home”.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a

Count nouns -- is or are? #2 (permalink) Sat May 22, 2010 9:08 am   Count nouns -- is or are?

We've recently had a similar conversation about another question, Bhikku. I agree with you that using the singular form to carry through the entire question seems more logical.
However in this example the second sentence gives an additional clue with regard to the correct answer in the first sentence and even though the singular/plural does not match, it is not strictly incorrect -- you have to think of it in these terms:
"The answer is window. This is what 'windows' are."
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
'a few apples' vs 'a lots of apples'Why the answer is "band"? The same meaning with ring?How to use the "marry to"?Do vests have sleeves?The tallest building in the country. vs The tallest building of the country."too many people" vs "a lot many people"What does 'helped his friend off' mean?What does appropriate mean?His father is ... M.L.A.Parents mean old parents?Difference between vision and viewWhat does 'high hopes' mean? Is it an idiom?I can do it...