to present in a condensed form; to list the main points in a brief and comprehensive manner
summarize
stall
pocket
loop

English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages

Where did buck naked originate? | meaning of "Standing out"
English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:16 am   English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages

ESL/EFL Test #55 "Chit Chat: Talking about the Doctor", question 1

Mike: Haven't seen you for ..........

(a) centuries
(b) ages
(c) periods
(d) times

ESL/EFL Test #55 "Chit Chat: Talking about the Doctor", answer 1

Mike: Haven't seen you for ages.

Correct answer: (b) ages

Mike: Haven't seen you for times.
_________________________

i don`t know why the ages is the correct answer

zen
zen

Idiom: 'Haven't seen you for ages.' #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:10 am   Idiom: 'Haven't seen you for ages.'

"I haven't seen you for ages" means "I haven't seen you for a very long time".
"For ages" is a set expression meaning a long period of time.

Enjoy English! :)
_________________
English Language Learning Online
Learn English with Daniela
Daniela
Daniela Encheva

Location: Bulgaria

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:26 am   English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages

" i haven't seen you for time" same as the meaning a long period of time ,isn't it?
Kathryn Wong

English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages #4 (permalink) Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:36 am   English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages

Hi Kathryn,

Your suggestion:
I haven't seen you for time
wouldn't work because the sentence is not complete. You would have to say something like: for a long time/for some time.

_________________

English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages #5 (permalink) Tue Nov 18, 2008 15:52 pm   English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages

Dear Alan,

Thanks for your explaination.:)
Kathryn Wong

English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages #6 (permalink) Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:38 am   English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages

"I haven't seen you for centuries"......doesn't this mean since a long time,too?????
Tanvi Mehta

Location: Shimla, India

English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages #7 (permalink) Sat Mar 21, 2009 17:05 pm   English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages

Tanvi Mehta wrote:

i agree that a person could get away with using centuries instead of ages. The only difference is that "I haven't seen you for ages" is a common idiom while using "centuries" would be uncommon.
Jerome.M

English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages #8 (permalink) Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:20 am   English idiom: Haven't seen you for ages

thanks for the explanation Jerome....it does make sense to me....i'll use ages more frequently from now on :wink:
Regards
Tanvi
Tanvi Mehta

Location: Shimla, India

Why not to say "milk and cookies"?What does "lips me off" mean?Meaning of "To strong arm"What is exactly the meaning of nose?Sentence: This term refers to subjects that are of importance...meaning of "bring over"Difference between "delivery person" and "mail carrier"'Brought' and 'bought' would not be correctwhat is tradesmen?Incidentally means 'by the way'?Comparision is a non-countable noun, why it had "a" before it?I saw him leave the house. vs I saw him leaving the house.Why we use "-ing" form (cleaning) after the word "to"?