to notch; to groove; to assign to a place or position (in an organization, system, etc.)
slot
prohibit
solve
fertilize

What does 'calamity' mean?

Usage of persuades | What does 'in character' mean?
What does 'calamity' mean? #1 (permalink) Tue May 25, 2010 12:59 pm   What does 'calamity' mean?

ESL/EFL Test #636 "Real Life: Natural Disasters (1)", question 8

A natural disaster is a sudden, environmental calamity that causes a great amount of damage, loss, ......... and hardship for those who are affected by it.

(a) serenity
(b) humor
(c) destruction
(d) comprehension

ESL/EFL Test #636 "Real Life: Natural Disasters (1)", answer 8

A natural disaster is a sudden, environmental calamity that causes a great amount of damage, loss, destruction and hardship for those who are affected by it.

Correct answer: (c) destruction
_________________________

could you help me explain the word 'calamity'?
Stupy

What does 'calamity' mean? #2 (permalink) Tue May 25, 2010 14:14 pm   What does 'calamity' mean?

Don't you have a DICTIONARY?
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
The citizens?What does 'on your marks' mean?What does 'beside the mark' mean?What does 'refuse' mean?It should be "I like my daily routine and exercise makes me happy".What is the meaning of eloped?In my neck of the woods, the expression is 'to be on top of the world'divorced vs deceasedWhy is English so difficult to understand?What does this expression mean: "superior to"?Meaning of characterDifference between vision and viewWhy ­we use "change of heart" instead of using 'change of view'?