disregard; inattention; forgetfulness; abandonment
support
budget
neglect
pioneer

What does 'in character' mean?

What does 'calamity' mean? | Meaning of character
What does 'in character' mean? #1 (permalink) Tue May 25, 2010 13:09 pm   What does 'in character' mean?

ESL/EFL Test #643 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (16)", question 2

Are you surprised that he bragged about himself all the way through dinner? That is definitely ......... character for him. He tends to brag about himself whenever he is around new people he doesn't know.

(a) in
(b) on
(c) out
(d) under

ESL/EFL Test #643 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (16)", answer 2

Are you surprised that he bragged about himself all the way through dinner? That is definitely in character for him. He tends to brag about himself whenever he is around new people he doesn't know.

Correct answer: (a) in

Are you surprised that he bragged about himself all the way through dinner? That is definitely out character for him. He tends to brag about himself whenever he is around new people he doesn't know.
_________________________

Out OF character?

"Out character" sounds strange.
_________________

What does 'in character' mean? #2 (permalink) Tue May 25, 2010 14:20 pm   What does 'in character' mean?

The answer is A, 'in character', so distractor C is not critical, but I agree that it could be a little more challenging, so I have added 'of' to C. It should appear with the next database update.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'in character' mean? #3 (permalink) Tue May 25, 2010 14:34 pm   What does 'in character' mean?

In character - typical behaviour (from him)
Out of character - unusual behaviour (from him)

In this instance, this is the way he always behaves around strange people so the answer is 'in character' as the test indicates.
_________________

Meaning of PBS, SUV, INSThe citizens?What does 'on your marks' mean?What does 'beside the mark' mean?What does 'refuse' mean?Usage of persuadesIt should be "I like my daily routine and exercise makes me happy".What is the meaning of eloped?In my neck of the woods, the expression is 'to be on top of the world'divorced vs deceasedWhy is English so difficult to understand?What does this expression mean: "superior to"?Difference between vision and view