having a degree or diploma; concerning studies beyond a bachelor's degree
sharp
incentive
supplementary
graduate

What does 'beside the mark' mean?

What does 'on your marks' mean? | The citizens?
What does 'beside the mark' mean? #1 (permalink) Wed May 26, 2010 5:19 am   What does 'beside the mark' mean?

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #25 "Mark Idioms", question 8

Take no notice of what he said because his comments are beside the mark.

(a) irrelevant
(b) disregarding
(c) distasteful
(d) disturbing

ESL/EFL Test #25 "Mark Idioms", answer 8

Take no notice of what he said because his comments are irrelevant.

Correct answer: (a) irrelevant
_________________________

can you explain further the meaning of "beside the mark"? it wil be great if you can cite more examples on how to use this expression. thanks and have a great day..
Stupy

What does 'beside the mark' mean? #2 (permalink) Wed May 26, 2010 7:03 am   What does 'beside the mark' mean?

I haven't heard this expression before, but I would take it to mean that his comments were beside the point - they were irrelevant to the main issue - they bore no importance.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
I am cofusing 'make' and 'makes'What does the meaning of drink out of it?Phrase: I want to have some fun this weekend.Wouldn't "what's GOTTEN into him." sound more natural?Would you explain for me why using HAVE in this sentence?Its rather be an used car, not a used!Meaning of exhaustedMeaning of PBS, SUV, INSWhat does 'refuse' mean?What does 'in character' mean?What does 'calamity' mean?Usage of persuadesIt should be "I like my daily routine and exercise makes me happy".