Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

progress; modernization; promotion
article
exclusion
treatment
advance
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Wouldn't "what's GOTTEN into him." sound more natural?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of PBS, SUV, INS | Would you explain for me why using HAVE in this sentence?
listening exercises
Wouldn't "what's GOTTEN into him." sound more natural? #1 (permalink) Thu May 27, 2010 6:59 am   Wouldn't "what's GOTTEN into him." sound more natural?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #640 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (13)", question 1

Paul is completely ......... of control these days. He is cutting classes, sneaking out, drinking, and stealing. I don't know what's got into him.

(a) in
(b) on
(c) out
(d) under

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #640 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (13)", answer 1

Paul is completely out of control these days. He is cutting classes, sneaking out, drinking, and stealing. I don't know what's got into him.

Correct answer: (c) out

Your answer was: correct

Greetings,

Wouldn't "what's GOTTEN into him." sound more natural?
To my ear, "what's got into him" sounds off key.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Wouldn't "what's GOTTEN into him." sound more natural? #2 (permalink) Thu May 27, 2010 7:08 am   Wouldn't "what's GOTTEN into him." sound more natural?

There is a dfiscussion about got/gotten here: even got to within a minute, Tort.
To me, being from the UK, gotten sounds completely unnecessary.
Language Coach

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Wouldn't "what's GOTTEN into him." sound more natural? #3 (permalink) Thu May 27, 2010 7:15 am   Wouldn't "what's GOTTEN into him." sound more natural?

Oh, yeah, that explains it.
I must've missed that discussion.
Thanks!
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Meaning of PBS, SUV, INS | Would you explain for me why using HAVE in this sentence?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is foxy lady?Usage of the passive voiceI am cofusing 'make' and 'makes'What does the meaning of drink out of it?Phrase: I want to have some fun this weekend.Its rather be an used car, not a used!Meaning of exhaustedThe citizens?What does 'on your marks' mean?What does 'beside the mark' mean?What does 'refuse' mean?Why is English so difficult to understand?Error should be followed by an