product which can rot or spoil (fruit, food etc.)
danger
perishable
bubble
printer

Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

Meaning of frost | "I fell asleep" instead of "I feel asleep"
Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #1 (permalink) Thu May 27, 2010 7:05 am   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

ESL/EFL Test #639 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (12)", question 4

These days, children spend too much time inside on their computers. They need to get ......... of doors and go play. We were always outside playing when we were kids.

(a) in
(b) on
(c) out
(d) under

ESL/EFL Test #639 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (12)", answer 4

These days, children spend too much time inside on their computers. They need to get out of doors and go play. We were always outside playing when we were kids.

Correct answer: (c) out

_________________________

I know it's none of my nevermind, but I opine the test would be more challenging if option "out" was changed to "out of", on account of the preposition "of" in and of itself kind of suggests "out", and you don't have to think twice to make your choice :)
_________________

Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #2 (permalink) Sat May 29, 2010 2:19 am   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

With the whole test offering only those same 4 options, the problem recurs; often, the other wrong distractors are similarly very easy to eliminate. A wider range of distractors should be used.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #3 (permalink) Sat May 29, 2010 21:06 pm   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

This test was created because prepositions are difficult and cause a lot of problems for ESL learners. This test organizes and focuses on certain prepositions so that students become more familiar with them and how they are used in everyday English.
As with any test, some questions are more challenging than others.
_________________

Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #4 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 3:03 am   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

Linda, that is supposed to be an Advanced Level test, so it is either mis-classified or mis-written. There is no educational value in restricting the tests to the same 4 distractors when as often as not they do not even fit into the structure of the sentence. You have written 27 tests on in, on, out and under, used no other distractors whatsoever, and presented no progress in 'challenge' that I can see. After the first 5 or 10 tests-- if the student has not been stupefied-- s/he is surely ready to move on to into, onto, above and over.

The only thing I can say for your efforts is that you are prolific.
_________________

Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #5 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 5:42 am   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

Wow - I never expected such a strong, negative opinion about this. Many students have taken these tests and their English skills are better for it. So, I disagree with you, but your opinions are noted. These tests may be "mis-classified," as you stated, but even advanced students don't use prepositions and prepositional phrases properly (all the time) and that's why they are organized in this manner. This site is set up so that students can learn English by taking tests - over and over again. That is stated on the website. All of the tests are written with that in mind. These are prepositional phrases that are commonly used - and there are many of them. Different prepositional phrases are used in each question. That's how the students progress.
_________________

Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #6 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 5:54 am   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

Many students have taken these tests and their English skills are better for it.

And how do we measure that here, Linda?
_________________

Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #7 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 6:05 am   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

If they've taken all of the tests, they will surely have a better grasp about prepositional phrases involving "in, on, out, and under." That's the point, MM.
Have you read this website's first page and mission statement? If not, here is just part of what it says:
"..... will help you learn new phrases, idioms, expressions and English grammar structures every single day. And you won't even have to cram any grammar rules or vocabulary words into your head! Instead, you will be absorbing bits and pieces of the English language almost without realizing it."
If certain students are 'stupefied' (as you stated) and they feel that they've mastered these prepositional phrases, freedom is a mouse click away. They can move onto other tests that this free website provides.
_________________

Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #8 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 7:31 am   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

I don't believe I have ever met anyone with less self-awareness, Linda. It is refreshing.
_________________

Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #9 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 8:36 am   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

That's especially funny because I think YOUR judgement is off.
_________________

Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #10 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 8:44 am   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

Case in point.
_________________

Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #11 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 15:52 pm   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

How many tests have you created in the past four years - about 12?
Your arrogance is astounding.

And, the 12 tests you've written cater to only the (high) advanced level of students who are business 'enthusiasts.' In the ESL world, that's taking the easy route. There are other students out there (who need more than just fine tuning and business vocabulary) and even the 'advanced' section is on a spectrum.
_________________

Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #12 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 18:21 pm   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

Hi Linda

I guess there’s some confusion here. May I chime in?

As I see it, MM’s suggestion is to add more distractors than the four prepositions offered in the tests, so that the Advanced Level students find the work more challenging. Leaving whatever has been said here aside, it wouldn’t be such a bad idea, would it? Since you’ve put in so much effort preparing all those tests, I suppose I a little bit of adding/deleting to further improve the quality of the tests would be great.

And I’ve seen you agree with MM (regarding tests and otherwise) many times before, and enjoy a kind of ‘forum camaraderie’ with him—then why should we confuse his suggestions regarding the “further improvement of what’s being offered” with arrogance?

To be very honest, I’ve always found him to be one of the most compos mentis teachers on all language forums.

I hope we agree!

Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #13 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 18:33 pm   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

As I stated before, the tests were created in order to focus the students on those certain prepositions and their usages. I think that is useful and that is why I disagree with the changes.
And while I have agreed with MM in the past, that doesn't mean I have to agree with his opinion in every instance.
Furthermore, he was being arrogant in this instance - and that is my opinion!
_________________

Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #14 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 23:41 pm   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

Your arrogance is astounding.

Just to set the record straight, Linda, I have created 400 TOEIC vocabulary tests and 60 TOEFL listening tests for us.
_________________

Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in... #15 (permalink) Mon May 31, 2010 1:21 am   Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in...

Prolific!
_________________

How do I know if my answer is correct or not?I feel like a million dollars?Middle-class vs. underclassNascent could also be an optionI need to get a test, Could you give some information about testsWhat is an ecosystem?humankind vs human kindWhat is foxy lady?What is cushy?What is crackthat bottle?Usage of the passive voiceI am cofusing 'make' and 'makes'Option 'out' was changed to 'out of', on account of the preposition 'of' in..., page 2