exertion of force; application of weight; weight; burden; encumbrance
pressure
innocent
travel
preference

What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

he hadn't said a word | Getting or betting?
What does this mean: "The soup's off"? #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:52 am   What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

ESL/EFL Test #58 "Chit Chat: At the restaurant", question 3

Waiter: Sorry sir. The soup's ..........

(a) off
(b) over
(c) through
(d) under

ESL/EFL Test #58 "Chit Chat: At the restaurant", answer 3

Waiter: Sorry sir. The soup's off.

Correct answer: (a) off

Waiter: Sorry sir. The soup's over.
_________________________

what do u mean by 'soup's off'??
What is wrong with the usage "soup's over"??
Dint u wanna mean that there is no soup left over...
Winni

Off #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:40 am   Off

The soup's off means it isn't on the menu - there is no soup available.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What does this mean: "The soup's off"? #3 (permalink) Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:01 am   What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

many thanks to Alan ! now i've understood the meaning of the sentence! :-))
Dongocan

What does this mean: "The soup's off"? #4 (permalink) Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:13 am   What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

sorry i made a wrong post in standard grammatical rule " i've undertaken.........!thanks hope to receive many your comments, Alan
Dongocan

What does this mean: "The soup's off"? #5 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 20:39 pm   What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

But ,,the soup is over'' means: the soup has finished? there is no the soup left?, why can't it be in this sentence:,,the soup's over''?

What does this mean: "The soup's off"? #6 (permalink) Tue Jun 02, 2009 14:17 pm   What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

Hey Alan,
is "the soup's off" the way english people say it? Can this also mean that the soup is past its use by date?
And i wonder as well why i can't say "the soup is over" to mean the soup has finished?

Cheers honorfield
Honorfield

Location: Melbourne

What does this mean: "The soup's off"? #7 (permalink) Tue Jun 02, 2009 15:46 pm   What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

Come on guys. Alan has given you the logical answer to the quiz question. Accept it and learn.

Waiter, " I'm sorry Sir, the soup is off." ..... It's no longer on the menu.

_________________

What does this mean: "The soup's off"? #8 (permalink) Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:52 am   What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

Kitosdad wrote:

Hey Kitosdad:)
thanks for the prompt reply. But you didn't quite answer my question.
Of course Alan already explained the meaning of "I'm sorry Sir, the soup is off".
My question was if this is the way people say it in England, because some of my australian friends here would have choosen "the soup is over" as the right aswer.

And i can't help myself, please tell me if i'm wrong, because i'm still learning.
but "Accept it and learn" as an aswer to my question seemed quite rude to me.
I wish you a nice day anyway:)
Cheers Stefan
Honorfield

Location: Melbourne

What does this mean: "The soup's off"? #9 (permalink) Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:33 am   What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

Hi Stefan,

Can you please ask your Australian friends which they would say more often -- 'the soup is off' or 'the soup is over'? I'm quite surprised that Australians would say 'the soup is over' since it sounds rather strange and I always thought that Australian English is very similar to American and British English.

Many thanks,

TOEIC listening, talks: Returning a phone call

What does this mean: "The soup's off"? #10 (permalink) Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:22 am   What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

The soup is over does sound OK to me too. I don't see why that should be wrong.
_________________
Non-native speaker of English
=================================
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
Daemon99

What does this mean: "The soup's off"? #11 (permalink) Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:10 am   What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

Well, you can say: 'The soup is off the menu.' It simply means the soup isn't on the menu anymore.

If you say: 'The soup is over the menu', it implies that the soup was spilled, doesn't it?

You can say: 'The soup is out', which means that we are out of soup.
_________________
No comment
Shyone

What does this mean: "The soup's off"? #12 (permalink) Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:54 am   What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

Thanks Shyone,
that makes it a bit clearer to me:)
Torsten, i'll ask my Australian friends again:)
Have a nice weekend all!
Stefan
Honorfield

Location: Melbourne

What does this mean: "The soup's off"? #13 (permalink) Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:45 am   What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

"Accept it and learn" as an aswer to my question seemed quite rude to me."

Wasn't meant to be rude. Only exasperation.

Alan had given the logical reply. Further questioning, as far as I was concerned, appeared unnecessary.
_________________

What does this mean: "The soup's off"? #14 (permalink) Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:50 am   What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

Maybe the confusion originates from the fact that we use 'over' in expressions such as 'it's all over now' or 'over and out', etc.

TOEIC listening, talks: Information on new charge card

What does this mean: "The soup's off"? #15 (permalink) Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 pm   What does this mean: "The soup's off"?

i think both off and over should be the right answer cause how are we supposed to know that the waiter wants to say the soup is over or that its not on the menu?
Shwethaprem

Test incompl/advan-845, Question 7Test incompl/advan-845, Question 2Are you sure there are seven days of week according to the solar calendar?Aux Modalroars of joystrength/power/forcesuch a daredevilupIt's supposed to be hot and sunny all day long.What does "all this way" mean?Meaning of "come up with"Meaning of 'part company with you'Meaning of Thoroughly