Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to ask for an identification (i.e. in a bar)
fetch
card
grasp
drop
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I am going to the downtown. vs I am going downtown.

ESL Forum | What do you want to talk about?
i don't understand | Moor House. (Concluding chapter.)
listening exercises
I am going to the downtown. vs I am going downtown. #1 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 13:35 pm   I am going to the downtown. vs I am going downtown.

which is correct?

I am going to the downtown.
I am going downtown.

Are the two sentences acceptable? I was told that downtown is specific already so there's no need to use "to the" anymore but i've seen some writers using to the downtown also. Please explain.
Rio
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

I am going to the downtown. vs I am going downtown. #2 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 13:40 pm   I am going to the downtown. vs I am going downtown.

'I am going downtown.' is correct.
'To the other end of town' is also correct, but 'to the downtown' isn't.
Language Coach

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I am going to the downtown. vs I am going downtown. #3 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 13:46 pm   I am going to the downtown. vs I am going downtown.

Why? Kindly explain.
Rio

I am going to the downtown. vs I am going downtown. #4 (permalink) Sun May 30, 2010 14:29 pm   I am going to the downtown. vs I am going downtown.

Partly as you've already been told from another source, Rio -- that 'Downtown' is specific already.

Think of it this way...
"I am going across town." " I am going up to town."

Would you say
"I am going to the across town." or "I am going to the up to town."?(If you would that is a mistake.)
Language Coach

I am going to the downtown. vs I am going downtown. #5 (permalink) Mon May 31, 2010 11:54 am   I am going to the downtown. vs I am going downtown.

Thank you beeesneees :D
Rio

i don't understand | Moor House. (Concluding chapter.)
ESL Forum | What do you want to talk about? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Which one is first to study; the English grammar or vocabularies?I want to say this...2010 and we still get this?Tap your inner geniusEU BID TO RAISE RETIREMENT TO 70Frustrated in teaching?Know any big words?Who is your favourite moderator/language coach?What is probability?How To Speak Excellent English In 6 Months Or LessBest English Speeling and Grammar checker software.what is your fav. websiteWhat would you do if you had this amount of money?