Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

competition
beverage
patch
pipe
contest
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Middle-class vs. underclass

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Diferent between like and desire? | How do I know if my answer is correct or not?
listening exercises
Middle-class vs. underclass #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 01, 2010 17:42 pm   Middle-class vs. underclass

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #805 "The Labor Force (1)", question 8

The largest group of workers, the ......... class, is currently shrinking.

(a) middle
(b) under
(c) upper
(d) low

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #805 "The Labor Force (1)", answer 8

The largest group of workers, the middle class, is currently shrinking.

Correct answer: (a) middle

Your answer was: incorrect
The largest group of workers, the under class, is currently shrinking.

I believe that workers can belong to the middle class in one country and to the underclass in another.

The following variant of the sentence would be less ambiguous:
The largest group of BRITISH (FRENCH, US) workers, the middle class, is currently shrinking.
Peter3791

Middle-class vs. underclass #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 01, 2010 19:58 pm   Middle-class vs. underclass

Sir,
I couldn't get it.What is the difference between under and middle class?
Vaishnavi
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Middle-class vs. underclass #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 01, 2010 20:52 pm   Middle-class vs. underclass

Hi Peter, many thanks for pointing this out. I've made the correction and it will appear online soon. Vaishnavi, the underclass is a group of people who have the least amount of privileges within a society. If you google the term you will get more comprehensive definitions.

TOEIC listening, talks: Commercial offering special prices on mens' suits
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Middle-class vs. underclass #4 (permalink) Tue Jun 01, 2010 21:12 pm   Middle-class vs. underclass

Thankyou so much for clearing out my doubts and I would surely google.
Vaishnavi

Middle-class vs. underclass #5 (permalink) Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:27 am   Middle-class vs. underclass

Hi Vaishnavi, I think "clear out my doubts" is an Indian expression. In English we say 'thanks for answering my question' or 'thanks for clarifying this point'.

TOEIC listening, talks: Tour guide is giving information on various buildings during sightseeing tour
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Middle-class vs. underclass #6 (permalink) Wed Jun 02, 2010 18:36 pm   Middle-class vs. underclass

Thank you Sir for answering my questions,I'll keep this in my mind.
Vaishnavi

Diferent between like and desire? | How do I know if my answer is correct or not?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is a telephone jack and why is it called jack?become excited vs. become scaredWhat's a carescape?Do the platypuses lay eggs?What do you mean by mammals?What is the difference between grisly and gruesome?I feel like a million dollars?Nascent could also be an optionI need to get a test, Could you give some information about testsWhat is an ecosystem?humankind vs human kind"I fell asleep" instead of "I feel asleep"Meaning of frost