competition
beverage
patch
pipe
contest

Middle-class vs. underclass

Diferent between like and desire? | How do I know if my answer is correct or not?
Middle-class vs. underclass #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 01, 2010 17:42 pm   Middle-class vs. underclass

ESL/EFL Test #805 "The Labor Force (1)", question 8

The largest group of workers, the ......... class, is currently shrinking.

(a) middle
(b) under
(c) upper
(d) low

ESL/EFL Test #805 "The Labor Force (1)", answer 8

The largest group of workers, the middle class, is currently shrinking.

Correct answer: (a) middle

The largest group of workers, the under class, is currently shrinking.
_________________________

I believe that workers can belong to the middle class in one country and to the underclass in another.

The following variant of the sentence would be less ambiguous:
The largest group of BRITISH (FRENCH, US) workers, the middle class, is currently shrinking.
Peter3791

Middle-class vs. underclass #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 01, 2010 19:58 pm   Middle-class vs. underclass

Sir,
I couldn't get it.What is the difference between under and middle class?
Vaishnavi

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Middle-class vs. underclass #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 01, 2010 20:52 pm   Middle-class vs. underclass

Hi Peter, many thanks for pointing this out. I've made the correction and it will appear online soon. Vaishnavi, the underclass is a group of people who have the least amount of privileges within a society. If you google the term you will get more comprehensive definitions.

TOEIC listening, talks: Commercial offering special prices on mens' suits

Middle-class vs. underclass #4 (permalink) Tue Jun 01, 2010 21:12 pm   Middle-class vs. underclass

Thankyou so much for clearing out my doubts and I would surely google.
Vaishnavi

Middle-class vs. underclass #5 (permalink) Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:27 am   Middle-class vs. underclass

Hi Vaishnavi, I think "clear out my doubts" is an Indian expression. In English we say 'thanks for answering my question' or 'thanks for clarifying this point'.

TOEIC listening, talks: Tour guide is giving information on various buildings during sightseeing tour

Middle-class vs. underclass #6 (permalink) Wed Jun 02, 2010 18:36 pm   Middle-class vs. underclass

Thank you Sir for answering my questions,I'll keep this in my mind.
Vaishnavi

What is a telephone jack and why is it called jack?become excited vs. become scaredWhat's a carescape?Do the platypuses lay eggs?What do you mean by mammals?What is the difference between grisly and gruesome?I feel like a million dollars?Nascent could also be an optionI need to get a test, Could you give some information about testsWhat is an ecosystem?humankind vs human kind"I fell asleep" instead of "I feel asleep"Meaning of frost