to take money from the bank; to retire; to remove
connote
treat
misunderstand
withdraw

neither plus his or their?

What time | present at the ceremony.
neither plus his or their? #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 am   neither plus his or their?

ESL/EFL Test #249 "Pronoun Practice (5)", question 4

Neither of the boys brought ......... kite to the beach.

(a) her
(b) his
(c) he
(d) their

ESL/EFL Test #249 "Pronoun Practice (5)", answer 4

Neither of the boys brought his kite to the beach.

Correct answer: (b) his

Neither of the boys brought their kite to the beach.
_________________________

this sentence forced me to ask......it is supposed to talk about them.....I mean the boys..... thanks in advance again
Believe In Me

neither plus his or their? #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:02 am   neither plus his or their?

Using 'his' is logical since 'neither' indicates not one or the other and that shows singularity. This is in contrast to: Both boys brought their kites ...

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
neither plus his or their? #3 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:05 am   neither plus his or their?

"The boys brought their kite to the beach" - the boys share a kite.
"The boys brought their kites to the beach" - there is more than one boy and they all brought their own kites.
but
"Neither of the boys brought his kite to the beach" - There are exactly two boys. They each have a kite (but they did not bring the kites).

The word 'neither' moderated the rest of the sentence. It means that each boy has to be treated individually (singular) rather than together (plural).
_________________

neither plus his or their? #4 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:23 am   neither plus his or their?

thanks for your valuable suggestion
i thought the ans is their .
Dashrath.1985

Location: Pune

neither plus his or their? #5 (permalink) Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:38 am   neither plus his or their?

Hello, everybody. I still have a question as for this sentence. The matter is that the book 'Grammarway 4' by Jenny Dooley and Virginia Evans says, 'Neither' refers to two people, things or groups. 'Neither of + plural noun phrase' can be followed by either a singular or plural verb, eg. Neither of the films has/have won an award' (page 173).
I'm totally confused now.
Vombat

neither plus his or their? #6 (permalink) Fri Jul 29, 2011 14:43 pm   neither plus his or their?

I was inattentive and wrote their. It's logical after "neither of the boys" can came singular if I said: one of the boys, etc. These are similar.

Thanks:
_________________

What time | present at the ceremony.
awake/awakenedalong the year, over the year, during the yearSubjunctivechecking accountsGee, you can't beat that.Most antssocial creaturesTheir lifespan is short.called him namesIt must have cost a pretty penny.Would you like some cream with your coffee?sprung vs springCan we use numbers before "loave"?