to decide; to define; to conclude; to cause; to affect
compensate
determine
excite
credit

What does 'off the hook' mean?

When we are taking appatment and how can we speak? | turn over vs. turn around
What does 'off the hook' mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:21 pm   What does 'off the hook' mean?

ESL/EFL Test #849 "Real Life: Telephones (1)", question 3

I wondered why we hadn't received any telephone calls today. When I checked the phone, I found that it had been left off the .......... Please hang it up properly next time so that the phone is seated in the correct manner on the cradle.

(a) joint
(b) plug
(c) hook
(d) junction

ESL/EFL Test #849 "Real Life: Telephones (1)", answer 3

I wondered why we hadn't received any telephone calls today. When I checked the phone, I found that it had been left off the hook. Please hang it up properly next time so that the phone is seated in the correct manner on the cradle.

Correct answer: (c) hook
_________________________

Dear Teacher,
What is the meaning of the hook.
Savath
Sroth

Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia

What does 'off the hook' mean? #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 14:20 pm   What does 'off the hook' mean?

'Off the hook:' a telephone line that is disconnected in some way. For example, if a person doesn't put a phone back on its cradle properly, the phone is off the hook because calls can't come in on that line.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Thanks #3 (permalink) Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:37 am   Thanks

Dear Linda,
I'm most gratitude for your explanation.Now I'm clearly undrestanding.

Savath
Sroth

Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia

What does 'off the hook' mean? #4 (permalink) Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:11 am   What does 'off the hook' mean?

Hi Sroth,

I'll come up with a different interpretation and say that it comes from fishing. 'Off the hook' to me essentially means that you no longer have any responsibility for something, you are free from blame, you are no longer a suspect. This comes from the idea of the fish escaping from the hook on the fishing line and swimming away free.

_________________

What does 'off the hook' mean? #5 (permalink) Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:06 am   What does 'off the hook' mean?

Hi Sroth,
I once read a novel about gangsters and there 'to get someone off the hook' ment to let someone go, not to kill someone.

''He said to Hagen, 'Tell Mike it was business, I always liked him.'
Hagen nodded 'He understands that.'
Tessio paused for a momentand then said softly, 'Tom, can you get me off hook,? For old times' sake?'''
_________________
I'm a natural blonde, please speak slowly ;-)
Bagheera

Location: Ukraine, Lviv

What does 'off the hook' mean? #6 (permalink) Sat Jun 12, 2010 16:23 pm   What does 'off the hook' mean?

In urban American slang, "off the hook" also means something is very exciting. Less frequently, it can be used to say a person is acting ridiculous.
Mordant

Location: United States

What does 'off the hook' mean? #7 (permalink) Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:32 am   What does 'off the hook' mean?

Dear Alan,

I very appreciate on your explanation of some different meaning of the word ' hook'

Savath
Sroth

Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia

What does 'off the hook' mean? #8 (permalink) Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:41 am   What does 'off the hook' mean?

Hi Bagheera,

I'm so grateful for your giving another definition of the word 'hook'.

Savath
Sroth

Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia

What's the meanig of pinch an inch.why we can not use the word ' imagining'.I dropped a dress size, it is simply meaning that to fit into dress.Meaning of piling on the poundsthe box is needed for all my thingsWould you like some more coffee? vs Do you like some more coffee?'Why' is the wrong option cause it is need an object. Is it right?In modern jurisdictions, the plaintiff's death before judgement terminates all...To gel a familyTo combine information to form a new perspective is called?Teaching TerminologyI'm off on mondays and tuesdays or I take the days off on monday and tuesday?I spent a lot of money. vs I spend a lot of money.