Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to decide; to define; to conclude; to cause; to affect
compensate
determine
excite
credit
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does 'off the hook' mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
When we are taking appatment and how can we speak? | turn over vs. turn around
listening exercises
What does 'off the hook' mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:21 pm   What does 'off the hook' mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #849 "Real Life: Telephones (1)", question 3

I wondered why we hadn't received any telephone calls today. When I checked the phone, I found that it had been left off the .......... Please hang it up properly next time so that the phone is seated in the correct manner on the cradle.

(a) joint
(b) plug
(c) hook
(d) junction

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #849 "Real Life: Telephones (1)", answer 3

I wondered why we hadn't received any telephone calls today. When I checked the phone, I found that it had been left off the hook. Please hang it up properly next time so that the phone is seated in the correct manner on the cradle.

Correct answer: (c) hook

Dear Teacher,
What is the meaning of the hook.
Thanks
Savath
Sroth
You can meet me at english-test.net

What does 'off the hook' mean? #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 04, 2010 14:20 pm   What does 'off the hook' mean?

'Off the hook:' a telephone line that is disconnected in some way. For example, if a person doesn't put a phone back on its cradle properly, the phone is off the hook because calls can't come in on that line.
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Thanks #3 (permalink) Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:37 am   Thanks

Dear Linda,
I'm most gratitude for your explanation.Now I'm clearly undrestanding.

Thanks
Savath
Sroth

What does 'off the hook' mean? #4 (permalink) Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:11 am   What does 'off the hook' mean?

Hi Sroth,

I'll come up with a different interpretation and say that it comes from fishing. 'Off the hook' to me essentially means that you no longer have any responsibility for something, you are free from blame, you are no longer a suspect. This comes from the idea of the fish escaping from the hook on the fishing line and swimming away free.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does 'off the hook' mean? #5 (permalink) Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:06 am   What does 'off the hook' mean?

Hi Sroth,
I once read a novel about gangsters and there 'to get someone off the hook' ment to let someone go, not to kill someone.

''He said to Hagen, 'Tell Mike it was business, I always liked him.'
Hagen nodded 'He understands that.'
Tessio paused for a momentand then said softly, 'Tom, can you get me off hook,? For old times' sake?'''

What does 'off the hook' mean? #6 (permalink) Sat Jun 12, 2010 16:23 pm   What does 'off the hook' mean?

In urban American slang, "off the hook" also means something is very exciting. Less frequently, it can be used to say a person is acting ridiculous.
Mordant
Language Coach

What does 'off the hook' mean? #7 (permalink) Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:32 am   What does 'off the hook' mean?

Dear Alan,

I very appreciate on your explanation of some different meaning of the word ' hook'

Thanks
Savath
Sroth

What does 'off the hook' mean? #8 (permalink) Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:41 am   What does 'off the hook' mean?

Hi Bagheera,

I'm so grateful for your giving another definition of the word 'hook'.

Thanks
Savath
Sroth

When we are taking appatment and how can we speak? | turn over vs. turn around
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What's the meanig of pinch an inch.why we can not use the word ' imagining'.I dropped a dress size, it is simply meaning that to fit into dress.Meaning of piling on the poundsthe box is needed for all my thingsWould you like some more coffee? vs Do you like some more coffee?'Why' is the wrong option cause it is need an object. Is it right?In modern jurisdictions, the plaintiff's death before judgement terminates all...To gel a familyTo combine information to form a new perspective is called?Teaching TerminologyI'm off on mondays and tuesdays or I take the days off on monday and tuesday?I spent a lot of money. vs I spend a lot of money.