determined; firm; steadfast
various
adept
foster
resolute

Does at the turn of the century mean the beginning of the century?

risk vs threat | Is seems suitable here?
Does at the turn of the century mean the beginning of the century? #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:45 am   Does at the turn of the century mean the beginning of the century?

ESL/EFL Test #322 "A very brief history of management theories", question 2

The Scientific Management Theory (1890-1940): At the ......... of the century, the most notable organizations were large and industrialized, and often they included ongoing, routine tasks that manufactured a variety of products.

(a) term
(b) tip
(c) top
(d) turn

ESL/EFL Test #322 "A very brief history of management theories", answer 2

The Scientific Management Theory (1890-1940): At the turn of the century, the most notable organizations were large and industrialized, and often they included ongoing, routine tasks that manufactured a variety of products.

Correct answer: (d) turn

The Scientific Management Theory (1890-1940): At the top of the century, the most notable organizations were large and industrialized, and often they included ongoing, routine tasks that manufactured a variety of products.
_________________________

Hello!

Thanks an advance for your clear explanations!
(my message mistakes also need correction if there is any :-)
Dina27

Does at the turn of the century mean the beginning of the century? #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:04 am   Does at the turn of the century mean the beginning of the century?

Yes, that is right: when one century turns into the next century.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Does it mean that you better leave Mark alone and don't bother him?Difference between "tired" and "fed up"That car just cut me off?Shirley has gone to the library?What is a cell phone?its vs. theirFraternal twins vs. identical twinsclearning vs. brushingWhat is a senior citizen?What is a remote control?What is a motion sensor?What does 'branches' mean?Expression: 'a bit difficult'