Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

car; vehicle; ride
realization
automobile
competitor
misgiving
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

How are the underlined phrases are grammatical by themselves?

TOEIC Practice tests Increase your TOEIC test score with
684 Vocabulary + 100 Grammar tests
3420 flash cards plus an ESL book
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the TOEIC® Test
“shoot me an e-mail” | Please give some TOEIC® advice!
listening exercises
How are the underlined phrases are grammatical by themselves? #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:21 am   How are the underlined phrases are grammatical by themselves?

Hello,

Could you please explain how the underlined phrases are grammatical by themselves in the transcript? For instance, are they considered complete sentences and are used informally?

Here is the transcript:

… and on the highway. Here are some tips to help you stay safe while on the road. First, the Do's. If you're traveling with more than one driver, try to switch drivers occasionally so that you don't spend too much time behind the wheel. Remember to stop frequently and take a break. Make sure you know the signs of drowsiness: missing road signs, difficulty focusing, and yawning. Now the Don'ts. Don't count on distractions such as the radio or an open window to keep you awake. And even …

Giving driving advice on safe driving to summer vacationers
TOEIC listening part IV, set 19, exercise 5

http://www.english-test.net/toeic/listening/giving_driving_advice_on_safe_driving_to_summer_vacationers

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

How are the underlined phrases are grammatical by themselves? #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:32 am   How are the underlined phrases are grammatical by themselves?

They are not full sentences, and that is informal.
Mordant
Language Coach

TOEIC Test Preparation — Increase your Score with 684 free TOEIC Vocabulary TestsTOEIC Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEIC scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEIC Grammar Exercises — Improve your English grammar and vocabulary skillsEvaluate and certifiy your business communication skills with TOEIC — TOEIC Certification
How are the underlined phrases are grammatical by themselves? #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 09, 2010 16:39 pm   How are the underlined phrases are grammatical by themselves?

From grammatical point of view they are not sentences. But they carry the meaning or sense clearly inspite of being parts of sentences.
Banglar Mati
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

How are the underlined phrases are grammatical by themselves? #4 (permalink) Wed Jun 09, 2010 16:49 pm   How are the underlined phrases are grammatical by themselves?

Hi Banglar, you probably mean 'from a grammatical point of view'?

TOEIC listening, question-response: How should we pay for the shipment?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

“shoot me an e-mail” | Please give some TOEIC® advice!
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the TOEIC® Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on TOEIC Test Forums
What does might mean?A big problem: I would like to get like and 895 or 900 or more...Their or his/herTOEIC® Listeningindirect saleHow to deduce from the picture that white car is trying to overtake yellow car?Problem with a question TOEIC® listening part II, set 18, exercise 4Top TOEIC® candidates list'to stance'Problem with a question, TOEIC® listening 15 Part IIFCE by CambridgeOnlineEnglish Preparation course for the TOEIC® test. 2009 results.How many words are usually used in the TOEIC®?