Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

denouncement; revealing; photograph; abandoning; placement
qualification
leisure
banknote
exposure
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between "tired" and "fed up"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of vaccination | Does it mean that you better leave Mark alone and don't bother him?
listening exercises
Difference between "tired" and "fed up" #1 (permalink) Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:30 am   Difference between "tired" and "fed up"

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #94 "Corporate Policy (2)", question 1

She is ......... with having to do 2 people's jobs.

(a) tired
(b) tiring
(c) feel down
(d) fed up

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #94 "Corporate Policy (2)", answer 1

She is fed up with having to do 2 people's jobs.

Correct answer: (d) fed up

Your answer was: incorrect
She is tired with having to do 2 people's jobs.

could u explain the difference between "tired" and "fed up"?

Lemour
Lemour

Difference between "tired" and "fed up" #2 (permalink) Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:43 am   Difference between "tired" and "fed up"

"Tired" will not occur with "with." The use of "with" was your clue to choose "fed up."

"Tired" and "fed up" can both convey exasperation from experiencing too much of some behavior, but the latter is stronger. Also, whereas "tired" can mean physically exhausted, "fed up" always describes your emotional response to something.

I ran 5 miles today, so I'm tired.
*I ran 5 miles today, so I'm fed up.
He won't stop nagging me. I'm tired of him.
He won't stop nagging me. I'm fed up with him.
Mordant
Language Coach

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of vaccination | Does it mean that you better leave Mark alone and don't bother him?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
To gel a familyTeaching TerminologyI'm off on mondays and tuesdays or I take the days off on monday and tuesday?I spent a lot of money. vs I spend a lot of money.Is there any text by which not only English grammar?What are people of color?That car just cut me off?Is seems suitable here?Does at the turn of the century mean the beginning of the century?Mind giving me?What does 'branches' mean?We all got wet?risk vs threat