Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

providing assistance
familiar
crucial
supportive
impatient
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

How much money do you have? Or How much Tv do you watch?

ESL Forum | What do you want to talk about?
how to write a project? | Adrian Monk
listening exercises
How much money do you have? Or How much Tv do you watch? #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 15, 2010 14:39 pm   How much money do you have? Or How much Tv do you watch?

Hello,
Many and much have a certain rule, Our teachers used to tell us that much uses with uncountable while many with countable, but when we ask them why in these two sentences:

How much money do you have? Or How much Tv do you watch? They do not have answers...
would any one answer me why we put much with these two sentences, although we can count the money and hours?
Sandy1
I'm here quite often ;-)

How much money do you have? Or How much Tv do you watch? #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:56 am   How much money do you have? Or How much Tv do you watch?

Would you please answer my question?
Sandy1
I'm here quite often ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
How much money do you have? Or How much Tv do you watch? #3 (permalink) Sat Jun 19, 2010 13:50 pm   How much money do you have? Or How much Tv do you watch?

"Money" is an uncountable noun, so we say "much". However, in the answer, we use countable units, such as dollars, euros, pounds, renminbi, etc.

"TV" in the sense of time watching TV, is uncountable, so we say "much". However, we answer with a countable unit, usually hours.

Some questions about uncountable nouns have answers that require the use of countable nouns.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How much money do you have? Or How much Tv do you watch? #4 (permalink) Sat Jun 19, 2010 16:21 pm   How much money do you have? Or How much Tv do you watch?

Thank you Jamie.
Sandy1
I'm here quite often ;-)

how to write a project? | Adrian Monk
ESL Forum | What do you want to talk about? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Michael JacksonDissertation Structure Essential Components of Your Project.What does that mean?Very good for your vocabularyQuestion from the TOEFLŪ bookIf sentencetest problemALIENS.Are there any sites or books teach rhetoric?I need to have 60% to pass the CAE examJob (With development industrail urban life in the world...)Looking for books (grammar mistakes, grammar mistakes)British English vs. American English.