Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

plentiful; abundant; generous; extravagant; wasteful
incorrect
retail
tall
profuse
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why smells and not is smelling?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
'the car on question' vs 'the car in question' | Countable vs. uncountable nouns
listening exercises
Why smells and not is smelling? #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:39 am   Why smells and not is smelling?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #188 "Verb Tense Practice (5)", question 5

That beef ......... bad. I think you should throw it out.

(a) smells
(b) smell
(c) smelling
(d) is smelling

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #188 "Verb Tense Practice (5)", answer 5

That beef smells bad. I think you should throw it out.

Correct answer: (a) smells

Why smells and not is smelling?

Savath
Savath

Why smells and not is smelling? #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:41 am   Why smells and not is smelling?

'Smell' is one of the linking verbs of sense (like taste, sound, feel, look) that normally take the simple present for current activity, rather than the present progressive.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
'the car on question' vs 'the car in question' | Countable vs. uncountable nouns
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Isn't going make it to the practice - what does it mean?pilot vs pilotsgreen urgly cotton or urgly green cottonbritish word for kisspast tense vs present perfectthe most difficult vs the less difficultthis 17-year-old son vs his 17-year-old sonWhat's the meanig of pinch an inch.why we can not use the word ' imagining'.I dropped a dress size, it is simply meaning that to fit into dress.Meaning of piling on the poundsthe box is needed for all my thingsWould you like some more coffee? vs Do you like some more coffee?