totally; completely; absolutely
entirely
consciously
interim
yet

What parts of speech is 'walk' here?

meeting the deadline | It is interesting first time: I wrote to camp and it was good.
What parts of speech is 'walk' here? #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 19, 2010 15:47 pm   What parts of speech is 'walk' here?

ESL/EFL Test #262 "Gerund and Infinitive Practice (1)", question 6

I watched my daughter ......... across the street on her own. She's growing up too fast.

(a) to walk
(b) walk
(c) walked
(d) to be walking

ESL/EFL Test #262 "Gerund and Infinitive Practice (1)", answer 6

I watched my daughter walk across the street on her own. She's growing up too fast.

Correct answer: (b) walk

I watched my daughter to walk across the street on her own. She's growing up too fast.
_________________________

What parts of speech is 'walk' here?

kukus
kukus

What parts of speech is 'walk' here? #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 19, 2010 16:45 pm   What parts of speech is 'walk' here?

Verb - present simple.
This test has various questions that involve infinitives, gerunds and other verb forms.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Verb #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 10, 2010 13:55 pm   Verb

Hi! is it false if we say I watched my daughter walked?
Harivony

Location: Madagascar

What parts of speech is 'walk' here? #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 18, 2010 19:05 pm   What parts of speech is 'walk' here?

As far as I know, when we connect two sentences with the same doer, we use the -ing form of the verb. For example, There was a boy. He was walking to the park.
We can say: There was a boy walking to the park.
Is that RIGHT?
I watched my daughter walking.
The original sentence may be: I watched my daughter while she was walking across the street on her own.

By the way "WALK" in the target sentence is a NOUN and it is FULLY correct!

Omar Rizk
_________________
Tell me and I'll forget,
Show me and I'll remember,
Involve me and I'll Learn.
Omarrizk

Location: Kingdom of my Own Creation

What parts of speech is 'walk' here? #5 (permalink) Thu Nov 18, 2010 19:46 pm   What parts of speech is 'walk' here?

Omarrizk wrote:

Omar Rizk

'Walk' is a VERB.

You have made several posts today which provide misleading information.
_________________

What parts of speech is 'walk' here? #6 (permalink) Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:45 am   What parts of speech is 'walk' here?

sorry for mis understanding the sentence. Now I see WALK here is a VERB not a NOUN. If it is a noun it needs 's before it. MY daughter's walk .............
Thanks for replying.

But is (walk) the only correct form or can we say (walking)?
_________________
Tell me and I'll forget,
Show me and I'll remember,
Involve me and I'll Learn.
Omarrizk

Location: Kingdom of my Own Creation

What parts of speech is 'walk' here? #7 (permalink) Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:11 am   What parts of speech is 'walk' here?

Walking would also be correct, though that is not an option in this particular test question.
_________________

What parts of speech is 'walk' here? #8 (permalink) Mon Nov 22, 2010 20:16 pm   What parts of speech is 'walk' here?

Thanks Beeesneeees
That's what I wanted to make sure of. Walking is also correct. I made posts just to learn! Thanks for adding to my knowledge.
_________________
Tell me and I'll forget,
Show me and I'll remember,
Involve me and I'll Learn.
Omarrizk

Location: Kingdom of my Own Creation

walk/n/ to walk/v/ #9 (permalink) Sat Dec 04, 2010 16:41 pm   walk/n/ to walk/v/

Can't I interpret in this sentence "walk" as a verb, it can interpret as a noun?

Wouldn't be correct if I said:

"I watched my daughter to walk across the street on her own. She's growing up to fast."

Thanks:
_________________

What parts of speech is 'walk' here? #10 (permalink) Sat Dec 04, 2010 19:57 pm   What parts of speech is 'walk' here?

If you interpret 'walk' as a verb, then the correct ending has to be 'walking'.

"I watched my daughter walking across the street on her own. She's growing up too fast."

Notice in your second sentence, you haven't said. "She's to grow up too fast!'
_________________

to walk or walking #11 (permalink) Sat Dec 04, 2010 22:13 pm   to walk or walking

Thanks BeeeNeees,

It isn't simple this gerund, present participle,infinitive /with to or without to/ for me.

/But my second sentence is the same than in the test's one./

Thank you for your help.

Greetings:
_________________

what parts of speech is 'walk' here..!! #12 (permalink) Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:56 am   what parts of speech is 'walk' here..!!

Hi beeesneees,

Could you please explain the grammar in the sentence.. I still can't understand because this sentence pattern is new to me.

Suneethaago

"I watched my daughter to walk across the street on her own." #13 (permalink) Fri Sep 09, 2011 13:32 pm   "I watched my daughter to walk across the street on her own."

"I watched my daughter to walk across the street on her own. She's growing up too fast."

In this sentance sentance to walk is a verb. However, walk is a name of an action. Hence it is a noun. When you perform this action then we term it as a verb.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks & Regards,
Mojo.
Mojo7301

what parts of speech is 'walk' here..!! #14 (permalink) Mon Sep 12, 2011 14:39 pm   what parts of speech is 'walk' here..!!

Thanks for your reply Mojo,

I could find the answer myself when I refer a grammar book. According to that I understood this grammar rule.

"I watched my daughter walking across......

The words watch, listen and notice can be followed by object+present participle. (the action 'watch' may be either complete or incomplete)

"I watched my daughter walk across.....

Also be followed by object+bare infinitive. (the infinitive implies that the action 'watch' is complete.)

When comparing the two,
The participle is useful to express both complete and incomplete actions.
The bare infinitive is useful to emphasize the action is complete. [It is also neater than the participle when there is a succession of actions.]
_________________
Need feedback.
Suneethaago

What parts of speech is 'walk' here? #15 (permalink) Mon Sep 12, 2011 15:35 pm   What parts of speech is 'walk' here?

Hello Saneethaqgo,

Many thanks for your explanation. As I am not a native sometimes I have to brush up my knowledge. You did it inside of me. I wanted to repeat this part of the English Grammar.
The proverb - what exists in many languages - is true:Its English Variation:
Repetition is the mother of memory.
Repetition is mother of study.

Nice to meet you:
_________________

What is a hot plate?tape recorder vs. tape playerHe talked me into driving his car. It is a sweet ride.I feel like camping on the weekend. Do you want to come?care for' means 'he was not keen on'the men's restroomWhat is a chandelier?What is a light fixture?prune vs. trimWhat parts of speech is 'walk' here?, page 2What is a space heater?What does "get through with you" mean?What does catch on mean?