to propose; to mention; to imply; to hint; to evoke
reference
observe
suggest
subside

I don't understand why after using "in" there's "ing" form.

meaning of 'a loose cannon' | Although, Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation to free the slaves
I don't understand why after using "in" there's "ing" form. #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 23, 2010 19:54 pm   I don't understand why after using "in" there's "ing" form.

ESL/EFL Test #638 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (11)", question 2

Hi, Hank. Sorry I am calling so late. I knew you needed an answer soon, so I wanted to call you tonight. ......... answer to your question, I will be able to make it to your wedding.

(a) In
(b) On
(c) Out
(d) Under

ESL/EFL Test #638 "Prepositional Phrases - In, On, Out and Under (11)", answer 2

Hi, Hank. Sorry I am calling so late. I knew you needed an answer soon, so I wanted to call you tonight. In answer to your question, I will be able to make it to your wedding.

Correct answer: (a) In
_________________________

I don't understand why after using "in" there's
"ing" form. It's supposed it's a preposition meaning "after" Too difficult to understand.
Any clue to make easy to understand?
Miorr
Miorr

I don't understand why after using "in" there's "ing" form. #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 23, 2010 23:06 pm   I don't understand why after using "in" there's "ing" form.

There is no 'ing' form after 'in' in the above sentence.

'in answer to' and 'in reply to' can be noun phrases:
"I am writing in answer to your letter."
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Test incompl/inter-182, Question 3Test incompl/elem-145, Question 6Test incompl/inter-779, Answer 2Test incompl/inter-549, Question 6why odd used in the sentences?What does "bring short with you" mean?Why an article is not used?how to make polite statements?I want an extra-large pizza with the works. I need help to find the meaning...Help me with these versesWhat is the purpose of a CV?Way to listening the English well?Why is mission?