Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to design; to mold; to form; to direct; to be formed
shape
irritate
involve
source
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Test incompl/advan-812, User's Answer 3

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Test incompl/elem-181, Question 2 | leave a message the next time?
listening exercises
Test incompl/advan-812, User's Answer 3 #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 23, 2010 20:36 pm   Test incompl/advan-812, User's Answer 3

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #812 "Atlantis, Bahamas", question 3

The focus of The Blue Project is to protect the ......... tropical marine ecosystems.

(a) interest
(b) iconoclast
(c) integrity
(d) ideogram

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #812 "Atlantis, Bahamas", answer 3

The focus of The Blue Project is to protect the integrity tropical marine ecosystems.

Correct answer: (c) integrity

Your answer was: correct

isn't it better to say "the integrity of tropical marine ecosystems"?
BenDover23
I'm here quite often ;-)

Test incompl/advan-812, User's Answer 3 #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 23, 2010 20:38 pm   Test incompl/advan-812, User's Answer 3

or even better "the integrity of the tropical marine ecosystems"..? The phrase given in the text sounds to me like "half way there"...
BenDover23
I'm here quite often ;-)

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Test incompl/advan-812, User's Answer 3 #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:37 am   Test incompl/advan-812, User's Answer 3

Moreover, the absence of "of the" makes it possible to insert only an adjective in the gap.

Let us be logical and analyze the sentence structure to make a guess.
As it is obvious that interest, integrity, and ideogram are NOT adjectives, and the word "iconoclast" is far from being a frequently used one, so it is alright if we non-native speakers fail to understand it.

Hence, the only logical conclusion is "iconoclast", which means Test #812 "Atlantis, Bahamas", question 3
is quite misleading.
Peter3791

Test incompl/advan-812, User's Answer 3 #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:48 pm   Test incompl/advan-812, User's Answer 3

Iconoclast is a noun, means something like a desecrater but not just vandal, political or religious desecrater. The adjective is iconoclastic.

Logically only integrity suits this question but grammatically looks wrong (to me)
BenDover23
I'm here quite often ;-)

Test incompl/advan-812, User's Answer 3 #5 (permalink) Thu Jul 01, 2010 20:41 pm   Test incompl/advan-812, User's Answer 3

The question contains missing words. It's incorrect.
Language Coach

Test incompl/elem-181, Question 2 | leave a message the next time?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of road hogb/c the use to show whole class or family of something.Both of them - solve or discover can be used?I have written one sentence and have a little bit perplexion about itTest incompl/elem-184, Question 1Test incompl/elem-295, Question 2Test incompl/advan-107, Question 2Test incompl/advan-153, Question 6Test incompl/inter-455, Question 1Test incompl/inter-165, User's Answer 10Reduction rulesWhat does break off mean?The word "wanted" here is not willing verb but action verb...