Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to place in a row; to cover the inside of; to pad
line
donate
drive
chop
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Test incompl/elem-229, User's Answer 7 | What is the differences between code switching and borowiing in language?
listening exercises
"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 27, 2010 14:39 pm   "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"

What is the meaning of this sentence "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" by noam chomsky
Belaid123
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 27, 2010 14:50 pm   "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"

i need your help
Belaid123

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" #3 (permalink) Sun Jun 27, 2010 15:10 pm   "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"

It has no meaning in itself. In a greater context there might be some clues as to its meaning.
Language Coach

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" #4 (permalink) Sun Jun 27, 2010 16:12 pm   "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"

it has a meaning !
Belaid123

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:37 am   "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"

In what language?
Language Coach

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" #6 (permalink) Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:05 am   "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"

It has no meaning and was designed to have no meaning. It is a well-known coinage by Noam Chomsky to illustrate that a sentence can be perfectly grammatical and at the same time totally meaningless.

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" #7 (permalink) Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:24 am   "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"

Not well known to me, but now I am enlightened. Thank you for the explanation, MM.
Language Coach

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" #8 (permalink) Mon Jun 28, 2010 15:03 pm   "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"

thank you all beeesneees and MM
Belaid123

Test incompl/elem-229, User's Answer 7 | What is the differences between code switching and borowiing in language?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Test incompl/advan-198, Question 4Test incompl/advan-54, Question 5Test incompl/elem-168, Question 6Test incompl/inter-845, Question 4Test incompl/inter-845, User's Answer 2Test incompl/inter-845, User's Answer 10Test incompl/inter-843, User's Answer 7"There are rules of use without which the rules of grammar will be useless&qTest incompl/elem-158, Question 4Test incompl/inter-853, Question 3Test incompl/inter-853, Question 2Test incompl/inter-853, Question 1How to do things with words?