to write or print a series of names or items according to a certain order; to inscribe; to record
manufacture
discover
list
secure

Both of them - solve or discover can be used?

Meaning of assuage | "I will not imagine" vs. I can't imagine
Both of them - solve or discover can be used? #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 02, 2010 13:42 pm   Both of them - solve or discover can be used?

ESL/EFL Test #23 "Product Improvement", question 4

The company is busy trying to ......... the problems arising from the sudden drop in sales of their cosmetic products.

(a) answer
(b) solve
(c) discover
(d) dissolve

ESL/EFL Test #23 "Product Improvement", answer 4

The company is busy trying to solve the problems arising from the sudden drop in sales of their cosmetic products.

Correct answer: (b) solve
_________________________

look that - The company can trying to discover the problem......or trying to solve the problem.
Regards
bibis
bibis

Both of them - solve or discover can be used? #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 02, 2010 18:03 pm   Both of them - solve or discover can be used?

'Discover' means something different.

'Trying to discover the problems' = trying to find out what the problems are.
'Trying to solve the problems' = trying to find a solution to the known problems.

In this question the company know the problems and the cause, they need to find a solution. 'Solve' is therefore correct.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Both of them - solve or discover can be used? #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 02, 2010 18:55 pm   Both of them - solve or discover can be used?

Beeesneees wrote:
In this question the company know the problems and the cause

In passing, could you point out where it says that the company already know the problems? I've looked at this sentence but couldn't find any indication that they know the problems
Maybe I'm missing something...
Thanks!
_________________

Both of them - solve or discover can be used? #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 02, 2010 19:43 pm   Both of them - solve or discover can be used?

In the vast majority of cases, the order of events are:
A problem arises. The cause of the problem is discovered. A solution to the problem is sought.

They have already discovered the cause of the problem.
_________________

Meaning of calmMeaning of road hogb/c the use to show whole class or family of something.I have written one sentence and have a little bit perplexion about itTest incompl/elem-184, Question 1Test incompl/elem-181, Question 2Test incompl/elem-295, Question 2Test incompl/advan-107, Question 2Test incompl/advan-153, Question 6Reduction rulesTest incompl/advan-812, User's Answer 3leave a message the next time?meaning of 'Superfluous to'