low; despicable; ignoble
manual
plain
intent
base

What does zoom out mean?

What does 'try your luck' mean? | Trip vs. excursion
What does zoom out mean? #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 19, 2010 16:13 pm   What does zoom out mean?

ESL/EFL Test #850 "Phrasal Verbs: Computers (1)", question 3

Wow! The picture is really big on the screen! Can you zoom ......... a bit?

(a) in
(b) over
(c) up
(d) out

ESL/EFL Test #850 "Phrasal Verbs: Computers (1)", answer 3

Wow! The picture is really big on the screen! Can you zoom out a bit?

Correct answer: (d) out
_________________________

Could you please tell me the real meaning of zoom out and if any remarkable difference with using the other prepositions proposed?

Thanks a lot
Iluminada

What does zoom out mean? #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 19, 2010 16:18 pm   What does zoom out mean?

zoom out - use the camera lens (or cursor/mouse) to move out from the scene so that you can see a wider area of scenery/background but a smaller picture.
zoom in - use the camera lens (or cursor/mouse) to move in closer to the scene so that you see a smaller area, but as a larger picture.

In this example, the exclamation 'the picture is so big on the screen! indicates that the speaker wants to see more of the picture, which would make it smaller.

zoom over and zoom up are incorrect as they are not terms that apply to photography or video. If you moved the angle of the camera lens across or up then you would pan across or pan up.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
In english we use supplies only for stuffs in stationarydevelop into?Two wrongs don't make a right?What does no two ways about it mean?You're being very unfair to us!Are interested proteins and proteins of interest interchangable?After 'tell' we always have to put an object or in that case a personnel pronounscomedy vs. tragedyNever give up?the difference between home and houseWhat are knitted mitts?What does "be away from danger" mean?difference between whom and whose?