to cut; to cut down; to cut into pieces; to mince
chop
kit
transfer
advise

idiom 'a smoking gun'

Everything is in order? | term 'Hired gun'
idiom 'a smoking gun' #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 22, 2010 18:29 pm   idiom 'a smoking gun'

ESL/EFL Test #853 "'Guns Etc:' Common Usages (2)", question 7

The missing ledger was the ......... gun that would ensure a conviction. The FBI personnel were frantically searching for the ledger that would prove the accountant had been embezzling money for years.

(a) shot
(b) smoking
(c) big
(d) firing

ESL/EFL Test #853 "'Guns Etc:' Common Usages (2)", answer 7

The missing ledger was the smoking gun that would ensure a conviction. The FBI personnel were frantically searching for the ledger that would prove the accountant had been embezzling money for years.

Correct answer: (b) smoking
_________________________

Would you use smoking gun, firing gun or smoking gun for a "ledger that was the ... gun that would ensure a conviction."

Menke
Menke

idiom 'a smoking gun' #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 22, 2010 18:40 pm   idiom 'a smoking gun'

'a smoking gun' is an idiom. This is a very special phrase that means indisputable evidence. In other words, a smoking gun is a piece of evidence that proves that something is true or that someone is responsible for a crime.

No other term including the word 'gun' means the same.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom "He really sticks to his guns"Do you say 'You shouldn't shoot the gun'?Do you say 'gunning' for your job?It is a challenging exercises...The murderer was gunned down or triggered down?In english we use supplies only for stuffs in stationarydevelop into?Two wrongs don't make a right?What does no two ways about it mean?You're being very unfair to us!After 'tell' we always have to put an object or in that case a personnel pronounsHow can I know?difference between whom and whose?