to suck up; take up; take in
expect
transfer
absorb
bank

Why must use if for this sentence?

What does ridicule mean? or ridiculous? or ridiculing? or ridiculed? | Point vs. top
Why must use if for this sentence? #1 (permalink) Fri Jan 06, 2006 13:59 pm   Why must use if for this sentence?

ESL/EFL Test #70 "Chit Chat: In the train", question 1

Mrs Ashton: Excuse me but do you know ......... this train is going to London?

(a) since
(b) if
(c) how
(d) whenever

ESL/EFL Test #70 "Chit Chat: In the train", answer 1

Mrs Ashton: Excuse me but do you know if this train is going to London?

Correct answer: (b) if
_________________________

why must use if for this sentence?

paul harris
paul harris

Why must use if for this sentence? #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:56 am   Why must use if for this sentence?

This is an open question to which Mrs Ashton doesn't know the answer and that is why she uses if because the answer will either be yes or no.

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Why must use if for this sentence? #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:58 am   Why must use if for this sentence?

I think this sentence should be: "Do you know when this train is going to London?"
Am I right?
Hani

Why must use if for this sentence? #4 (permalink) Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:01 am   Why must use if for this sentence?

Hi Hani

The correct answer is if. The word when was not an option in the test.

It would also be better to use the simple present tense to talk about scheduled times for trains.
_________________

Why must use if for this sentence? #5 (permalink) Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:52 am   Why must use if for this sentence?

would you explain to me the use of "whenever" because it is very similar with "if"
for example:
Whenever I go there they seem to be in bed. (I take from cambridge's dictionary)
If I go there they seem to be in bed.
and why on that question was wrong(whenever?)
Watie

Location: Indonesia

Why must use if for this sentence? #6 (permalink) Fri Dec 18, 2009 15:19 pm   Why must use if for this sentence?

'Whenever' means every time that a particular thing happens be it you go to your friends' house.

Let's say that you visit this website twice a day and every time you do that you're required to sign in. In that case you would say:
Whenever(every time that) I enter this website, I'm asked to sign in.

'Whenever' could also mean at any given time as in:
Feel free to give me a visit whenever you want.

Regards
Ali
Aliraf62

Location: Sweden

The days of the week?What are dairy products?What are carrier and boat and aircraft?What does 'get up' mean?Is spring just around the ..?What does 'to be in the dog house' mean?parts vs. slicesMeaning of 'shopping cart'what is the past tense of fetch?What is a "fleet of ships"?Meaning of "branched out"Usage of the word "prefer"Live at a place vs. live by a place