amid; in the middle
precisely
miserably
between
hard

The oldest trick in the book?

Resign vs. surrender | What is a fishing expedition?
The oldest trick in the book? #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 26, 2010 15:50 pm   The oldest trick in the book?

He knew there was a chance of losing by attempting a Fool's Mate on his opponent in chess. He decided to try it. It was the oldest trick in the ......... but it had still worked on many past opponents.

(a) trade
(b) basket
(c) book
(d) set

He knew there was a chance of losing by attempting a Fool's Mate on his opponent in chess. He decided to try it. It was the oldest trick in the book but it had still worked on many past opponents.

Correct answer: (c) book
_________________________

The answer is logic of course" a trick in the book" but as it is an idiom I thought of the basket. I've mistaken.
_________________

The oldest trick in the book? #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 26, 2010 16:30 pm   The oldest trick in the book?

The idiom is 'the oldest trick in the book'. Something that has been done successfully in that situation many times before.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What are Christmas stockings?What is the butt of the joke?I would like to know the meaning of regular basis?What is a graphic movie?Meaning of you're on your own?What does 'to be on a roll' mean?What does know all the tricks mean?What are "old wives' tales"?What is 'an old hat'?What's my score?What does just as good mean?just after vs. right afterWhat is a real account?