Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

custody; property; asset; control; ownership
forward
implication
tax
possession
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does know all the tricks mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is a fishing expedition? | What is 'an old hat'?
listening exercises
What does know all the tricks mean? #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 26, 2010 15:58 pm   What does know all the tricks mean?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #543 "English Slang Idioms (144)", question 5

He wished he knew all of the ......... of the trade that plumbers knew. Many a time, he had been baffled by a problem and called a plumber in just to watch him or her insert a small gasket or apply a piece of tape to a pipe that would achieve the desired result. Even he could do that much.

(a) tricks
(b) mystiques
(c) sleight of hand
(d) insides

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #543 "English Slang Idioms (144)", answer 5

He wished he knew all of the tricks of the trade that plumbers knew. Many a time, he had been baffled by a problem and called a plumber in just to watch him or her insert a small gasket or apply a piece of tape to a pipe that would achieve the desired result. Even he could do that much.

Correct answer: (a) tricks

Unfortunately first I chose the "sleight of hand" after I corrected for tricks. What a pity!

Sleight of hand =great skill in using the hands in performing tricks, juggling,etc.

To Alan #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 26, 2010 16:03 pm   To Alan

Dear Alan,

I wrote in the text "trick" and it was written "sleight of hand". Which one is it good. Because if the tricks I should have got 5 points.When I wrote my message I saw that my answer was good.
Regards:
Kati Svaby

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What does know all the tricks mean? #3 (permalink) Mon Jul 26, 2010 16:28 pm   What does know all the tricks mean?

'sleight of hand' relates only to a specific type of a magician's/performer's tricks, Kati.

As this person is thinking about plumbing jobs, sleight of hand does not apply. He wants to know about tricks such as using tape to tighten nuts or materials that he can use to stop leaks, etc.
Language Coach

to beeeneeez #4 (permalink) Mon Jul 26, 2010 16:39 pm   to beeeneeez

Hello Beeeneeez,
I wrote tricks and the correction was written "slight of hand" . When I wrote the answer I thought that I've mistaken but when I watched the page I saw my answer was correct. So I achieved 5 points.
Kati

What is a fishing expedition? | What is 'an old hat'?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What are Christmas stockings?What is the butt of the joke?I would like to know the meaning of regular basis?What is a graphic movie?Meaning of you're on your own?What does 'to be on a roll' mean?The oldest trick in the book?What are "old wives' tales"?What's my score?What does just as good mean?just after vs. right afterWhat is a real account?when do we use present perfect?What's the difference between present perfect and