to hire as a worker; to activate; to operate; to use
employ
negotiate
jeopardy
enhance

What is a fishing expedition?

The oldest trick in the book? | What does know all the tricks mean?
What is a fishing expedition? #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 26, 2010 16:10 pm   What is a fishing expedition?

Don't answer the police's question, Mark. They are hoping that you will divulge some information by falling into one of the verbal traps they set for you. They don't actually know anything about who committed the crime -- they are just on a ......... expedition," his lawyer told him.

(a) adventure
(b) information
(c) fishing
(d) trapping

Don't answer the police's question, Mark. They are hoping that you will divulge some information by falling into one of the verbal traps they set for you. They don't actually know anything about who committed the crime -- they are just on a fishing expedition," his lawyer told him.

Correct answer: (c) fishing
_________________________

on a fishing expedition; it could be slang
I wrote trapping expedition because I thought they had a plan for deviceing Mark.
_________________

What is a fishing expedition? #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 26, 2010 16:25 pm   What is a fishing expedition?

You're thinking about it too deeply Kati. The lawyer is explaining what Mark and his friends are doing, not what the police might be trying to do.

They are on a fishing expedition
means
They are on a fishing trip.

They are journeying to somewhere where they can fish and they are probably planning to camp out overnight.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
to Beeeneeez #3 (permalink) Mon Jul 26, 2010 16:30 pm   to Beeeneeez

Hello Beeeneeez,

I didn't thought of this then I overcomplicated this.
Thanks.Regards:
_________________

What are Christmas stockings?What is the butt of the joke?I would like to know the meaning of regular basis?What is a graphic movie?Meaning of you're on your own?What does 'to be on a roll' mean?What are "old wives' tales"?What is 'an old hat'?What's my score?What does just as good mean?just after vs. right afterWhat is a real account?when do we use present perfect?What's the difference between present perfect and