Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

pact; treaty; connection; relationship
alliance
interim
chart
automobile
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does 'to be on a roll' mean?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is 'an old hat'? | What is a graphic movie?
listening exercises
What does 'to be on a roll' mean? #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 26, 2010 16:25 pm   What does 'to be on a roll' mean?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #543 "English Slang Idioms (144)", question 7

He had settled the last four cases out of court by intimidating the defendants with all kinds of legal maneuvers and threats. He had another chance to settle a case coming up this afternoon. He felt that he was on a ..........

(a) track
(b) assembly line
(c) roll
(d) momentum

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #543 "English Slang Idioms (144)", answer 7

He had settled the last four cases out of court by intimidating the defendants with all kinds of legal maneuvers and threats. He had another chance to settle a case coming up this afternoon. He felt that he was on a roll.

Correct answer: (c) roll

The track would be correct but unfortunately it isn't idiom."To be on a roll "= be on the scent isn't it ?

What does 'to be on a roll' mean? #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 26, 2010 17:50 pm   What does 'to be on a roll' mean?

Hi Kati,
"To be on a roll" means to be experiencing 'sustained fortune or success in some area.'
"To be on track" (without an article {a or the}) means to be 'achieving or doing what is necessary or expected.'
"To be on the track of" OR "to track down" means to be 'pursuing or on the scent of something/someone.'
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
to Linda #3 (permalink) Mon Jul 26, 2010 20:28 pm   to Linda

Hello Linda,

Thanks your help. I read your writing. I like also the art, my husband is an artist painter. We have been living together for 48 years and if the God wants we 'll have our golden wedding in two years. I lived my whole life among artists.

We'll meet because I interest in your test and I'll try my hand at them.

Regards: Kati Svaby

What does 'to be on a roll' mean? #4 (permalink) Mon Jul 26, 2010 21:21 pm   What does 'to be on a roll' mean?

Sounds like you have a blessed and wonderful marriage and life.
Take care.
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

What is 'an old hat'? | What is a graphic movie?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
I want to see if I am correct or not when filling in these blanks...I'm moving up in the company next week.What are Christmas stockings?What is the butt of the joke?I would like to know the meaning of regular basis?Meaning of you're on your own?What is a fishing expedition?What does know all the tricks mean?The oldest trick in the book?What are "old wives' tales"?What's my score?What is a real account?when do we use present perfect?What's the difference between present perfect and