Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to climb; to ascend; to weigh; to do according to a particular ratio
discuss
pay
reach
scale
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Present simple and future simple tense

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Expression: found he was sitting on a barrel of butter | border vs. boarder
listening exercises
Present simple and future simple tense #1 (permalink) Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:56 am   Present simple and future simple tense

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #11 "Conditionals", question 8

......... you able to lend me some money if I promise you that you will get it back very soon?

(a) Are
(b) Was
(c) Were

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #11 "Conditionals", answer 8

Are you able to lend me some money if I promise you that you will get it back very soon?

Correct answer: (a) Are

which one is the right answer?

Stephanie
Stephanie

Conditional sentence #2 (permalink) Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:42 am   Conditional sentence

Dear Stephanie,
Your answer is correct. This sentence is first conditional and the verbs should be in the present simple and the futute simple tense. This is the so called "real condition" and it refers to the future.
Daniela
Language Coach
Daniela Encheva

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Conditional #3 (permalink) Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:27 am   Conditional

Hi Stephanie,

You might be interested to read a piece I've written for the site on this topic. If you go to esl lessons and look in the index, you will find the heading Conditionals.

Hope this is of use.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Present simple and future simple tense #4 (permalink) Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:59 pm   Present simple and future simple tense

Dear Alan,

I don't understand the construction of one sentence from the article:

"For those few months after I was 18 I was like a cat on a hot tin roof. If the telephone rang, I would jump in the air. If the postman arrived late..."

Why it is not: "When the telefone rang, I jumped in the air"?*
I thought that Conditional II concern actions that could be done and maybe would be done, but they are not done by now.
In another words: I thought it concern possibility.

*Because if I understand this sentence correctly it means: every time (so not once but many times) the telephon rang, he jumped in the air.
Violino
You can meet me at english-test.net

Present simple and future simple tense #5 (permalink) Sun Mar 11, 2007 15:30 pm   Present simple and future simple tense

Hi Violino

Interesting question. I would suggest that the answer lies in the fact that the word 'would' can also be used to talk about past habitual activities. So, in that sense, the word 'would' does mean 'every time'.

Does that help?

Amy

Present simple and future simple tense #6 (permalink) Sun Mar 11, 2007 20:06 pm   Present simple and future simple tense

After that:
Yankee wrote:
the word 'would' can also be used to talk about past habitual activities.

I have no more qustions :wink:

Thank You, Amy
Violino
You can meet me at english-test.net

Conditional sentence #7 (permalink) Sat May 09, 2009 4:44 am   Conditional sentence

Quote:
Your answer is correct. This sentence is first conditional and the verbs should be in the present simple and the futute simple tense. This is the so called "real condition" and it refers to the future.Daniela

If you are able I promise,... present present. The promise is in present not in future.
Now I promise somethig that I'll do in future.

Those exercises carry confusing not clear at all.
Quote:
drink good coffee

Expression: found he was sitting on a barrel of butter | border vs. boarder
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What does aisles mean?What does priceless mean?What does go down on one knee mean?simple past of irregular verbsWhat does let me see mean?What is an eccentric person?What does 'set in stone' mean?Tell me what does that say? vs Tell me what that say.meaning of zippers'lasts" instead of "last"?What does a waitress do?What is the meaning of sublet?What does je nai pas comprit mean?