Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

supply of goods; inventory; share; company's capital divided into shares
stock
grocer
century
preserve
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What is 'a lick and a promise'?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
the Philippines. | What does this phrase mean: "in good time"?
listening exercises
What is 'a lick and a promise'? #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 04, 2010 18:58 pm   What is 'a lick and a promise'?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #296 "English Slang Idioms (18)", question 8

He knew the new guy had given his second assignment a mere lick and a .......... It was thrown together and about only two-thirds finished when he turned it in.

(a) stamp
(b) wave
(c) promise
(d) kiss

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #296 "English Slang Idioms (18)", answer 8

He knew the new guy had given his second assignment a mere lick and a promise. It was thrown together and about only two-thirds finished when he turned it in.

Correct answer: (c) promise

a mere lick and a promise?
Licky

What is 'a lick and a promise'? #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 04, 2010 19:36 pm   What is 'a lick and a promise'?

'a lick and a promise' is a phrase which indicates that a superficial effort has been made without care or enthusiasm.

It originally alluded to perfunctory washing, particularly of children:
As a young child, my mother would frequently give me 'a lick and a promise' in the middle of the day - this meant she would give my face and hands a quick wash, just to make sure I was presentable.
The 'lick' was the quick wash then.
The 'promise' was that I'd be bathed more thoroughly later that day.

This expression is believed to be comparable to the quick lick a cat or other animal might give itself and a promise to do more or better at some future time.
Language Coach

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What is 'a lick and a promise'? #3 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 15:22 pm   What is 'a lick and a promise'?

Hi BZ,

We can say this about a " hasty bit of work" ?/ or a sham? /or when somebody do something just anyhow ?
Kati

What is 'a lick and a promise'? #4 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 15:32 pm   What is 'a lick and a promise'?

Hello Kati,

Generally, the term can refer to something done with hastiness or carelessness, though it does not usually means something is a sham.
Did you have a specific example in mind?
Language Coach

What is 'a lick and a promise'? #5 (permalink) Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:56 am   What is 'a lick and a promise'?

Hi Bz,

To add "sham "- it was my error. I thought the sentence that : "His friendship was a mere sham: what he really wanted was my relationship." But this isn't good here. You are right. It means that he tried to deceive me. It is clear.
Kati

the Philippines. | What does this phrase mean: "in good time"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
back to the drawing boardTest incompl/inter-298, Question 3Test incompl/inter-298, Question 6Test incompl/inter-298, Question 10Test incompl/inter-298, Question 9Test incompl/inter-298, Question 8What is A1 quality?She needs wateras strong as its weakest link.a fool and his moneya day late and a dollar shortTurn to a page...I got my mojo workin'