officer of a monastery; high-ranking member of a religious order
money
pad
prior
worry

Expression: at fault (in the wrong)

The shop owner shot the robber. vs The shop owner shoots the robber. | Photos of your girlfriend?
Expression: at fault (in the wrong) #1 (permalink) Fri Jan 13, 2006 17:05 pm   Expression: at fault (in the wrong)

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #11 "I really wonder", question 8

It was concluded after the investigation had taken place that nobody was to be regarded as in fault concerning the accident.

(a) concluded
(b) investigation
(c) in fault
(d) accident

ESL/EFL Test #11 "I really wonder", answer 8

It was concluded after the investigation had taken place that nobody was to be regarded as at fault concerning the accident.

Correct entries: at fault, guilty
The error was: (c) in fault

Your answer was: n/a
_________________________

why at fault and not in fault
Goran

Expression: at fault (in the wrong) #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 13, 2006 19:11 pm   Expression: at fault (in the wrong)

Hi Goran,

The only explanation I can give is that it is a set expression - at fault. You might like to know another expression which means the same: in the wrong.

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: at fault (in the wrong) #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 05, 2010 15:26 pm   Expression: at fault (in the wrong)

at fault
ABBY dictionary examples:
Who is in fault?
party in fault

therefore I used "at fault"
wrong?
Colonelcy

Location: Ukraine

not the brightest star in the skypenny anteWhich tense is often used to write a poem or story?what is cold-blooded?'could lose all of your money' vs 'could lost all of your money'currently vs generallySchool of hard knocks?What is turnaround fianacing? Is it an amount of money or a method something?what is the meaning of foreshadowing?Idiom: come to the pointExpression: 'on a regular basis'Meaning of "see in"Idiom: loud and clear