Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to be worthy of; to have a right to
slash
deserve
term
render
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Test incompl/elem-130, Question 5

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
again about should vs. ought to | He smiled and announced that his application for a loan had been approved...
listening exercises
Test incompl/elem-130, Question 5 #1 (permalink) Sun Aug 08, 2010 23:28 pm   Test incompl/elem-130, Question 5

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #130 "Vocabulary Practice: Bottlenose Dolphins", question 5

Dolphins look like they have fun in the ocean because they play with each other as well as ......... out of the water. Another word for this is jump.

(a) shriek
(b) run
(c) leap

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #130 "Vocabulary Practice: Bottlenose Dolphins", answer 5

Dolphins look like they have fun in the ocean because they play with each other as well as leap out of the water. Another word for this is jump.

Correct answer: (c) leap

Hello,
I would like to know what is the difference between leap and jump.
Thank you
Marica
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Test incompl/elem-130, Question 5 #2 (permalink) Sun Aug 08, 2010 23:50 pm   Test incompl/elem-130, Question 5

They can mean the same thing, but they often don't. "Leap" usually describes jumping significantly forward, but one could conceivably leap backward. You can jump and land more or less where you were before. But you cannot accurately call that leaping.
Mordant
Language Coach

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Test incompl/elem-130, Question 5 #3 (permalink) Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:25 am   Test incompl/elem-130, Question 5

Hi Marica,

Both 'leap' and 'jump' suggest upward movement from a level base but possibly 'leap' has a more dramatic and energetic movement. There is a fish called salmon which is known to leap out of the water but a person would jump out of the water in a swimming pool if they found it too cold.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

again about should vs. ought to | He smiled and announced that his application for a loan had been approved...
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What does stress out mean?simple present plus present perfectWhat does 'head above water' mean?if you lie down with the dogs, you get up with fleasmounted vs. raisedno longer wild vs. not longer wildCan a teacher be female?totally vs completely?Will be cured soon?in 4 years from now?The thought did cross my mind?Basic weather expressionsMy umbrella broke?