Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

distant; located far away; secluded; isolated; aloof
prolific
remote
initiative
reverse
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

If I were you? Subjuntive?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Expression: "Yes, I'll hold" | enticement
listening exercises
If I were you? Subjuntive? #1 (permalink) Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:21 am   If I were you? Subjuntive?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #297 "Advice", question 1

Janet: I have a sore throat. What should I do?
Kim: If I ......... you, I'd go to the doctor right away.

(a) was
(b) were
(c) seemed
(d) being

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #297 "Advice", answer 1

Kim: If I were you, I'd go to the doctor right away.

Correct answer: (b) were

exlain why puted were
Sulby

If I were you? Subjuntive? #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:42 am   If I were you? Subjuntive?

Hi,

'Please explain why 'were' is put here'.

You need 'were' here because this is the subjunctive form of 'was'. 'Was' is a fact and 'were' suggests a supposition, an imaginary situation.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
If I were you? Subjuntive? #3 (permalink) Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:29 am   If I were you? Subjuntive?

THANKS A LOT
Tobiasz

If I were you? Subjuntive? #4 (permalink) Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:35 am   If I were you? Subjuntive?

Hello,

First, there is a technical problem about this test. Whenever I click for an explanation, it is not in line with this post. Therefore, could you please fix this problem?

Second, the correct answer for this Bedbugs test question 1 is "geologists". I wonder why the bedbugs have to do with geologists instead of entomologists, who study insects. Could you please explain it?

Here is an excerpt from the Bedbugs test:

1. In the ecological balance of nature, there is a place for every kind of bug. However, ......... are puzzled as to where a bedbug should fit into the scheme of nature.

(a) polygamists
(b) protagonists
(c) entomologists
(d) geologists

Bedbugs!
ESL test for elementary level students

Home > Free English Tests for ESL/EFL > English Grammar Test, Elementary Level # 277

http://www.english-test.net/esl/learn/english/grammar/ei297/esl-test.php

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

If I were you? Subjuntive? #5 (permalink) Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:36 am   If I were you? Subjuntive?

Hello Bhikku,

I corrected this test ages ago. On the database itself the questions are showing up as correct, but the changes are not reflected on the website.
I hope that the administrators can get this problem sorted out. It seems to be a common fault that the database refresh does not pick up the edits. Mister Micawber and I seem to be wasting our time making the changes.
Language Coach

If I were you? Subjuntive? #6 (permalink) Tue May 01, 2012 17:13 pm   If I were you? Subjuntive?

Beeesneees wrote:
Hello Bhikku,

I corrected this test ages ago. On the database itself the questions are showing up as correct, but the changes are not reflected on the website.
I hope that the administrators can get this problem sorted out. It seems to be a common fault that the database refresh does not pick up the edits. Mister Micawber and I seem to be wasting our time making the changes.

sorry, it is still wrong up to day
bye
Ginevra
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Geologists #7 (permalink) Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:30 am   Geologists

I hope some day will be corrected

Re: If I were you? Subjuntive? #8 (permalink) Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:50 am   Re: If I were you? Subjuntive?

Kim: If I ......... you, I'd go to the doctor right away.

(
Kim: If I were you, I'd go to the doctor right away.

exlain why puted were[/quote] When something is contrary to the fact, we use "were".

If I were 8 feet tall, I would be the best basketball player ever.
Canadian45
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression: "Yes, I'll hold" | enticement
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Last but not least-meaningEnglish Slang Idioms (17)/5Test 641 number 9 "you get what you pay for" vs "you get what youIt has stopped raining/the rain has stoppedWhat is the meaning of "hold any stock"?difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy...""The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here?What does 'to know the ropes' mean?"down a peg" vs "down a hill"What is the difference between a bank teller and a cashier?meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."why correct answer is road why not others?screen vs fritz