state of belonging to an organization or group; fellowship
discussion
membership
pocket
record

if you lie down with the dogs, you get up with fleas

mounted vs. raised | What does 'head above water' mean?
if you lie down with the dogs, you get up with fleas #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:58 am   if you lie down with the dogs, you get up with fleas

He had been arrested as an accomplice to robbery simply because his friends, who he was going to a movie with at the time, had robbed someone earlier that day. He remembered what his grandma used to say about keeping company with the wrong sort: "if you lie down with the dogs, you get up with .........."

(a) hair
(b) smell
(c) drool
(d) fleas

He had been arrested as an accomplice to robbery simply because his friends, who he was going to a movie with at the time, had robbed someone earlier that day. He remembered what his grandma used to say about keeping company with the wrong sort: "if you lie down with the dogs, you get up with fleas."

Correct answer: (d) fleas
_________________________

Is smell or fleas suitable here? Thanks.
Nigmatullina

Location: Russian Federation

if you lie down with the dogs, you get up with fleas #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:52 am   if you lie down with the dogs, you get up with fleas

This test is about particular sayings.

The saying here is 'If you lie with the dogs, you get up with fleas.' so 'fleas' is the correct answer.

It means that if you associate with bad company some of their crimes/misdemeanors/habits rub off on you and you end up like them to some degree.

'Smell' is not suitable as even if the original question were not a test of knowledge of idioms, the phrase would at least need to be:
... you get up with their smell.
for 'smell' to be correct.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What is the opposite of husband?develop a solid business strategy?What does stress out mean?What does 'in the money' mean?What does money for jam mean?What does spending money like water mean?simple present plus present perfectTest incompl/elem-130, Question 5again about should vs. ought tono longer wild vs. not longer wildCan a teacher be female?The thought did cross my mind?He smiled and announced that his application for a loan had been approved...