Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

colored substance applied to surfaces; layer of dried pigment on a surface
paint
study
essence
discussion
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Responsibility vs. concern

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Done and stuff | Meaning of "lost his touch"
listening exercises
Responsibility vs. concern #1 (permalink) Sun Jan 15, 2006 17:56 pm   Responsibility vs. concern

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #17 "Down to Earth", question 9

Let's put it like this you made the decision and so it's down to you as to what happens next.

(a) your responsibility
(b) your concern
(c) your turn
(d) your thought

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #17 "Down to Earth", answer 9

Let's put it like this you made the decision and so it's your responsibility as to what happens next.

Correct answer: (a) your responsibility

Your answer was: incorrect
Let's put it like this you made the decision and so it's your concern as to what happens next.

I don't quite see why I should be responsible for what happens after I've made a decision, unless I have some kind of telekinetic powers. A decision is something abstract and isn't necessarily followed by an action. On the other hand I can be concerned or worried as to how what I've decided to do will affect my life or other people's IF and WHEN I do it. At least thats how I see it. Id appreciate your explaining why you chose the first option here.
Conchita
Language Coach

Responsibility #2 (permalink) Sun Jan 15, 2006 18:40 pm   Responsibility

Hi Conchita,

I accept your logical comments but really this is a language thing. Concern is usually used in a negative way as in:
It's not my concern/no concern of mine what happens.

Again in both negative and positive statements using the same basic form:

I'm not concerned about/I am concerned about what happens.

The most appropriate word here is responsibility however unfair and unjust you may think the comment by the speaker may be in making the other person responsible for what happens.
That's why I chose that word.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Responsibility #3 (permalink) Sun Jan 15, 2006 19:13 pm   Responsibility

Hello Alan,

Thank you for trying to enlighten me, which you are usually very good at. From now on, I'll think twice before airily saying that English is not that complicated.
Conchita
Language Coach

Responsibility vs. concern #4 (permalink) Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:56 am   Responsibility vs. concern

Hi,

I was really being carried away by your conversations here and almost forgot my question....

So, be down to you = be up to you = be your responsibility. To me, this is another example for the 'up = down' :o phenomenon as we have in: fill out = fill in (out = in :o ), live off = live on (off = on :o ), etc. Oh, sorry for my rubbish but I just wondered if there had been something behind the scenes to actuate these phrases to be equal or close in meanings but with opposite 'parts'.

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Responsibility vs. concern #5 (permalink) Thu Oct 27, 2011 18:10 pm   Responsibility vs. concern

Could I also say "it's up to you as to what happens next"?
Licinio
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Responsibility vs. concern #6 (permalink) Thu Oct 27, 2011 18:27 pm   Responsibility vs. concern

Hi Licinio,

Yes, that's fine.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Done and stuff | Meaning of "lost his touch"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
how to understand the word of plain?Quite a few employees?stingy and miserlynow he's on skid row.spreading it on kind of thickthe arduous taskWouldAnother factor for change has been international equity investorsturned upside down with turmoilWhat does alike mean?Meaning of continentsWhat does "business end user" mean?Meaning of internal accounting