right to live in a country; condition of being a member of a country
element
straight
suggestion
citizenship

Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

What does the latest news mean? | Things will improve tomorrow?
Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 16, 2006 15:15 pm   Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

ESL/EFL Test #60 "Chit Chat: In the theatre", question 6

Mary: I've got it. ......... it's Dobson. Yes, that's it Michael Dobson.

(a) Certainly
(b) Surely
(c) Naturally
(d) Obviously

ESL/EFL Test #60 "Chit Chat: In the theatre", answer 6

Mary: I've got it. Surely it's Dobson. Yes, that's it Michael Dobson.

Correct answer: (b) Surely

Mary: I've got it. Obviously it's Dobson. Yes, that's it Michael Dobson.
_________________________

what is the difference between SURLY CERTAINLY?
Ellionora Pea

Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 16, 2006 16:41 pm   Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

Certainly has the sense of 'it's a fact'. Surely is used when the speaker is either trying to reassure themeslves or another person.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY #3 (permalink) Wed May 16, 2012 0:20 am   Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

I think the difference of meaning between surely and certainly minimum. Am I correct?
Cristovam

Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY #4 (permalink) Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:29 am   Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

Good day, Sir!
Is it possible to use the word "obviously", because it was obviously Michael Dobson?
Gatherer

Location: Russia

Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY #5 (permalink) Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:33 am   Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

As a standalone sentence, that would be possible, but not within the context of this test, which is a series of related statements. Only 'surely' works well when you place it within the whole dialogue.
_________________

Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY #6 (permalink) Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:53 am   Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

Hi Gatherer,

If you used 'obviously' in the test sentence, you are really saying that it is clearly Dobson and there is no doubt about it but within the conversation the speaker uses 'surely' because she is asking the other person for reassurance that it is Dobson.

_________________

Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY #7 (permalink) Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:01 am   Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

Thank you very much for you explanation.
Gatherer

Location: Russia

Has just won vs. just wonTest incompl/inter-222, Question 4Test incompl/inter-222, User's Answer 3What does pass away mean?Takes afterTotal confusion!why in this sentence we can not use leaved?How can cat be sitting on a wall?What does speak up mean?There's little hopeGive a lift to someoneDifference between choose and findMeaning of "that said"