Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

right to live in a country; condition of being a member of a country
element
straight
suggestion
citizenship
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does the latest news mean? | Things will improve tomorrow?
listening exercises
Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 16, 2006 15:15 pm   Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #60 "Chit Chat: In the theatre", question 6

Mary: I've got it. ......... it's Dobson. Yes, that's it Michael Dobson.

(a) Certainly
(b) Surely
(c) Naturally
(d) Obviously

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #60 "Chit Chat: In the theatre", answer 6

Mary: I've got it. Surely it's Dobson. Yes, that's it Michael Dobson.

Correct answer: (b) Surely

Your answer was: incorrect
Mary: I've got it. Obviously it's Dobson. Yes, that's it Michael Dobson.

what is the difference between SURLY CERTAINLY?
Ellionora Pea

Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 16, 2006 16:41 pm   Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

Hi,

Certainly has the sense of 'it's a fact'. Surely is used when the speaker is either trying to reassure themeslves or another person.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY #3 (permalink) Wed May 16, 2012 0:20 am   Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

I think the difference of meaning between surely and certainly minimum. Am I correct?
Cristovam
I'm here quite often ;-)

Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY #4 (permalink) Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:29 am   Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

Good day, Sir!
Is it possible to use the word "obviously", because it was obviously Michael Dobson?
Gatherer
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY #5 (permalink) Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:33 am   Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

As a standalone sentence, that would be possible, but not within the context of this test, which is a series of related statements. Only 'surely' works well when you place it within the whole dialogue.
Language Coach

Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY #6 (permalink) Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:53 am   Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

Hi Gatherer,

If you used 'obviously' in the test sentence, you are really saying that it is clearly Dobson and there is no doubt about it but within the conversation the speaker uses 'surely' because she is asking the other person for reassurance that it is Dobson.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY #7 (permalink) Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:01 am   Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY

Thank you very much for you explanation.
Gatherer
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What does the latest news mean? | Things will improve tomorrow?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Has just won vs. just wonTest incompl/inter-222, Question 4Test incompl/inter-222, User's Answer 3What does pass away mean?Takes afterTotal confusion!why in this sentence we can not use leaved?How can cat be sitting on a wall?What does speak up mean?There's little hopeGive a lift to someoneDifference between choose and findMeaning of "that said"