to provide secret information about another country; to examine
spy
brake
indicate
comply

louder vs. more loudly

What are male Emperor penguins? | She used money?
louder vs. more loudly #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:47 am   louder vs. more loudly

ESL/EFL Test #284 "Basic Grammar Exercises (9)", question 8

The red birds sing more ......... than the blue ones do.

(a) louder
(b) loudest
(c) loudly
(d) loud

ESL/EFL Test #284 "Basic Grammar Exercises (9)", answer 8

The red birds sing more loudly than the blue ones do.

Correct answer: (c) loudly

The red birds sing more louder than the blue ones do.
_________________________

I don't understand my mistake, isn't louder a comparative?

Best regards,
Maddy

Location: Italy

louder vs. more loudly #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:38 am   louder vs. more loudly

Hi Maddy,

'Louder' is the comparative of 'loud' and so it is not necessary to add 'more'. We usually use 'more' to show comparative when the adjective has several syllables as in: 'more beautiful'.

In the test sentence we need the adverb 'loudly' and the comparative is 'more loudly'.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
louder vs. more loudly #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 17, 2010 14:36 pm   louder vs. more loudly

Hi Maddy,

Hello Alan,

Thanks for your answer, your explanation is very clear. I need to review comparatives =)

Best regards,

Maddy
Maddy

Location: Italy

both vs. andDoes rip-off mean stealing?does nod off mean to be sleepy?Does mark-up to increase mean?What does look down on mean?Does it mean that they had to give them a sack?If the cookie recipe is complete, it will specify the ingredients?Test incompl/advan-653, Question 7Road construction is still in progressMy son is currently under the instruction of a tutor?Hi, what is a A U-hole truck?What does "cancels on you" mean?simple past of 'cut'