to permit; to enable
delay
vacillate
admit
allow

Using: others, other, anothes

like to watch vs. like watching | Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?"
Using: others, other, anothes #1 (permalink) Tue Jan 17, 2006 21:25 pm   Using: others, other, anothes

ESL/EFL Test #74 "Other/another/others/the others", question 10

There are three books in my backpack. One is a maths book and ......... is a chemistry book.

(a) others
(b) another
(c) the other
(d) the others

ESL/EFL Test #74 "Other/another/others/the others", answer 10

There are three books in my backpack. One is a maths book and another is a chemistry book.

Correct answer: (b) another
_________________________

I want a gramatical explanation about the uses of others, other, another, the other and the others
Jojo

Answering question #2 (permalink) Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:49 am   Answering question

Hey,
use "the other(s)" when you are trying to be more specific.
I have two pens. One is black and "the other" one is blue. You already know that one is black. So, according to the sentence, there?s only one left to have a different color. In this case, you use the definite article "the" before "other". Others and another are not so specific.
I have ten pens. one is black and another one is blue, but there are other pens (out of these ten) that can be of any other color.
You could say: I have ten pens. One is black, another one is blue and the others are red. (you have a specific number of pens. So you know that if they are not black or blue, they can only be red)
Another as opposed to other....Another: a other or an other. Use this word when you see that you need to use A or AN (indefinite articles) before other.
On the sentence: There are several holidays in Brazil. One is Independence Day and others are Children's Day and Teacher's Day.
Others: You are not listing ALL brazilian holidays, just a few of them. So, you can only use "others", not A other or AN other, or THE other or ALL the otherS.
I hope this helps!

Carol
carolbinda

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Using: others, other, anothes #3 (permalink) Sat Oct 15, 2011 14:03 pm   Using: others, other, anothes

Hi Carol,
I think I understand a little bit after reading your explanation.
I have some examples to share.please review. Thanks
Example 1: My daughter is very busy on the weekend. She has three classes to attend, one is piano class, one is language and the other is swimming class.
Example 2: I have only 5 shirts, one is yellow, another one is blue and the rest are brown.

Phuchi
Kietsjsu

Using: others, other, anothes #4 (permalink) Thu May 17, 2012 10:26 am   Using: others, other, anothes

Please, I would like to know if the last example of KIETSJSU is it correct or not. Thanks.
Cristovam

Using: others, other, anothes #5 (permalink) Thu May 17, 2012 16:57 pm   Using: others, other, anothes

Kietsjsu's examples are correct.
_________________

on walk-ins and reach-ins???proof reading on Weather. Pls check. Thanksmeaning of The final fraction is ‘fines’ – nameless dust.now they vs. they nowMy favorite and least favorite school subjectTest incompl/advan-875, User's Answer 8Jekyll and Hydeidiom: until the fat lady singsTest incompl/advan-522, Question 7head or heads?What is a recliner?why we don't use to quit?What does the expression "find the way out" mean?