to go along with; to go together with; to join; to attach
affect
forward
accompany
narrow

Can we say maintaining the order of the crowds?

with on heads? | Any day of the week
Can we say maintaining the order of the crowds? #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:20 am   Can we say maintaining the order of the crowds?

ESL/EFL Test #83 "Save Our Animals (3)", question 9

A police officer on horseback was ......... the crowds and she found herself being gently moved by the horse.

(a) controlling
(b) maintaining
(c) conducting
(d) driving

ESL/EFL Test #83 "Save Our Animals (3)", answer 9

A police officer on horseback was controlling the crowds and she found herself being gently moved by the horse.

Correct answer: (a) controlling

A police officer on horseback was maintaining the crowds and she found herself being gently moved by the horse.
_________________________

Can we say "maintaining the order of the crowds"?

thanks.
_________________
I have a dream and I want to know the secret of time and universe.
Zhangbaixiang

Location: Chinese

Can we say maintaining the order of the crowds? #2 (permalink) Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:49 pm   Can we say maintaining the order of the crowds?

Yes, you could say something like that, but I think it would be 'maintaining order in/among the crowds'.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
with on heads? | Any day of the week
Test incompl/inter-199, User's Answer 10Test incompl/inter-198, User's Answer 4Test incompl/inter-882, User's Answer 6Test express/advan-44, Question 10Test incompl/inter-467, Answer 2Test incompl/advan-858, User's Answer 5What is a surfboard?know each otherTest express/inter-3, Question 10prior to vs. beforePlease describe the composition of a football team.Monday is the day after SundayTest incompl/elem-289, Question 1