Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to provide a detailed statement about an occurrence or situation; inform
puzzle
display
ship
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Would you like some cream with your coffee?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
along the year, over the year, during the year | Whatever vs. however
listening exercises
Would you like some cream with your coffee? #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 19, 2010 19:09 pm   Would you like some cream with your coffee?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #181 "Basic Grammar Exercises (2)", question 7

Would you like ......... cream with your coffee?

(a) few
(b) many
(c) some
(d) an

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #181 "Basic Grammar Exercises (2)", answer 7

Would you like some cream with your coffee?

Correct answer: (c) some

Your answer was: incorrect
Would you like an cream with your coffee?

i think that sentence:,,Would you like an cream with your tea,,make sense too:)
Koparka

Would you like some cream with your coffee? #2 (permalink) Thu Aug 19, 2010 19:54 pm   Would you like some cream with your coffee?

This would be grammatically wrong so why say it?

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor on the possibility of life on Mars
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Would you like some cream with your coffee? #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 31, 2011 19:29 pm   Would you like some cream with your coffee?

This answer is wrong , isn't it? It will be Any cream by my opinion. Am I right ?
Lili6
You can meet me at english-test.net

Would you like some cream with your coffee? #4 (permalink) Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:34 am   Would you like some cream with your coffee?

you don't just have one cream "an". You could say "would you like a package of cream with your coffee"

cream is like water: It's not singular unless it's referring to a single package, etc.

correct answer is "some"

Would you like some cream with your coffee? #5 (permalink) Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:06 am   Would you like some cream with your coffee?

I think "some" is correct.
Water, money,love, etc.. is uncountable nouns.
Belove

Would you like some cream with your coffee? #6 (permalink) Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:43 am   Would you like some cream with your coffee?

Lili6 wrote:
This answer is wrong , isn't it? It will be Any cream by my opinion. Am I right ?
Hi Lili6,

You have probably learned a grammar rule that tells you to use 'any' in questions and negative sentences, and 'some' in affirmative sentences. Right? That rule works quite often. However, there are exceptions.

When we use a question to offer something to someone, it is quite common to use 'some' rather than 'any'. We use 'some' rather than 'any' in such a question when we expect that the answer is likely to be affirmative, or even to encourage an affirmative response. So, the use of 'some' in the test question is completely natural and also grammatically correct.

Q: Would you like some cake?
A: Oh, yes! It looks scrumptious.

Q: Would you like some help with those heavy boxes?
A: That would be wonderful! Thank you!

along the year, over the year, during the year | Whatever vs. however
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
to have fluNeither of the girls listenedbus/roadunion/downtownuse a restwhen x will return/when x returnsawake/awakenedpresent at the ceremony.called him namesneither plus his or their?sprung vs springSpeaking about words, as the subjectWhy vs. because