after; in back of
considering
behind
save
during

Using lapse, slip and blunder

why tick and not slash? | Meaning of notorious
Using lapse, slip and blunder #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 23, 2006 13:23 pm   Using lapse, slip and blunder

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #112 "Synonyms for error and fault", question 10

He was in a coma for more than two weeks after the accident but now he has woken up and the doctors say he has a ......... of memory. He can hardly remember what had happened.

(a) gaffe
(b) lapse
(c) slip
(d) error

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #112 "Synonyms for error and fault", answer 10

He was in a comma for more than two weeks after the accident but now he has woken up and the doctors say he has a lapse of memory. He can hardly remember what had happened.

Correct answer: (b) lapse
_________________________

When should I use:
lapse, slip and blunder?

Mefodij
Mefodij

Lapse, slip or blunder #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 23, 2006 13:43 pm   Lapse, slip or blunder

Dear Mefodij,
Blunder is a careless, serious mistake in action or speech, suggesting awkwardness or ignorance; a stupid, clumsy mistake. Most of the time it can affect other people.

Slip is usually a minor mistake made through haste or carefulness; a slight error in speech or writing: a slip of the tongue; a slip of the finger, etc.

Lapse is a usually minor or temporary failure; a slip, omission of something: a lapse of memory; a lapse in judgment; a mistake resulting from inattention.

Daniela
_________________
English Language Learning Online
Learn English with Daniela
Daniela
Daniela Encheva

Location: Bulgaria

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Using lapse, slip and blunder #3 (permalink) Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:44 am   Using lapse, slip and blunder

Dear Daniela,

You say: "Slip is usually a minor mistake made through haste or carefulness" Do you mean "carelessness"?
baton

Slip #4 (permalink) Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:00 am   Slip

Dear Baton,
That's exactly what I mean - "carelessness". Thanks for that! Now I have given you another example of "slip of the finger". :)
Daniela
_________________
English Language Learning Online
Learn English with Daniela
Daniela
Daniela Encheva

Location: Bulgaria

Using lapse, slip and blunder #5 (permalink) Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:14 am   Using lapse, slip and blunder

He was in a coma for more than two weeks after the accident but now he has woken up and the doctors say he has a lapse of memory. He can hardly remember what had happened.

Could you please tell me what would happen if I removed "had" from the original sentence? Would it still be correct? Amy says that people in the USA prefer past indefinite tense to past perfect tense.

Using lapse, slip and blunder #6 (permalink) Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:29 am   Using lapse, slip and blunder

Hi Tom,

I can see you're on the past perfect hunt! Possibly here is another example of 'overkill'. I also would prefer 'happened'.

_________________

Using lapse, slip and blunder #7 (permalink) Tue Jan 20, 2009 16:29 pm   Using lapse, slip and blunder

hi, why we can't use "small" instead of "minor" in this sentence!!!? can i replace it??? thx in advance
An
Dongocan

what is the meaning of scandal and parapet?Meaning of the word "prowling"proffer vs. offerWhat does implement mean?What does "motions" mean in this sentence?Use 'He just took the money and ran away'What does derived mean?empowerment vs advantageUsage of thought, mind, issue, saywhy is used the verb to shoot instead to take some photos?John rides vs John rideissue vs mindSentence: Jim and I butted heads when we first met,...