Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

creative; new; original
warning
inventive
stable
including
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does kennel mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Is seems suitable here? | That car just cut me off?
listening exercises
What does kennel mean? #1 (permalink) Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:03 am   What does kennel mean?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #77 "American homophones", question 5

Every time I go on a trip I leave my dog in a ..........

(a) channel
(b) cannel
(c) canal
(d) kennel

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #77 "American homophones", answer 5

Every time I go on a trip I leave my dog in a kennel.

Correct answer: (d) kennel

What does kennel mean?
Jan
Jan

Kennel #2 (permalink) Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:09 am   Kennel

Hi,
Kennel is a very small house, made especially for a dog to live in it.
Daniela
Language Coach
Daniela Encheva

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Kennels #3 (permalink) Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:02 am   Kennels

If I may add something, a kennel is also a building where dogs are kept or bred, like a boardinghouse for dogs. It may sound nice, but they are usually far from happy to be left there.
Conchita
Language Coach

What does kennel mean? #4 (permalink) Wed Aug 20, 2008 21:27 pm   What does kennel mean?

Hi Daniela, I want to know if dog house and kennel are synonyms because kennel is a new word for me.Thanks. Silvina.
Sipa2008
You can meet me at english-test.net

What does kennel mean? #5 (permalink) Wed Aug 20, 2008 22:20 pm   What does kennel mean?

Hi Silvina

Sometimes it helps to do a Google images search for words:
Google Images: kennel
Google Images: dog house

A kennel can be either a small place where one dog is kept/sheltered (also called a dog house) or a kennel can be a place where a lot of dogs are kept/sheltered.

What does kennel mean? #6 (permalink) Wed Aug 20, 2008 22:32 pm   What does kennel mean?

I think (in BrE, at least) an article-less plural is more usual, when people talk about where they leave their dogs.

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does kennel mean? #7 (permalink) Wed Aug 20, 2008 23:14 pm   What does kennel mean?

Could you put that article-less plural into a sentence for me, MrP? Would you just say that you'd left the dog "at kennels"?

When referring to a dog-boarding facility, I think the plural is probably also used sometimes in AmE, but probably with an article.
However, if I were to go on a long trip and had no choice but to board my dog somewhere (with other dogs), I'd probably say that I'd left the dog "at the kennel".

What does kennel mean? #8 (permalink) Wed Aug 20, 2008 23:44 pm   What does kennel mean?

Hello Amy,

"In" or "into" would be the prepositions I associate with "kennels", e.g.

1. If you are planning a holiday or business trip and do not want to put your pets into kennels or a cattery, then we can help.

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does kennel mean? #9 (permalink) Thu Aug 21, 2008 0:08 am   What does kennel mean?

Thanks, MrP.

Interestingly, I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone here talk about a 'cattery', and I've had cats all my life. And there are no entries for 'cattery' in the American Corpus either -- although I doubt that the word in completely unused in the US.

What does kennel mean? #10 (permalink) Thu Aug 21, 2008 22:00 pm   What does kennel mean?

Hello Amy, the images that you've sent to me are very descriptives. Thanks a lot. Silvina.
Sipa2008
You can meet me at english-test.net

kannel = dog house #11 (permalink) Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:09 am   kannel = dog house

Dear Sir
I could understand that kannel is a house where the dogs can be kept safetly,

I want know any cat home is there where I can keep my cats if I go outside.

Thank you

S.Shanthi

What does kennel mean? #12 (permalink) Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:28 am   What does kennel mean?

A kennel may be a small place in a person's garden for their dog. There are also larger businesses - kennels - where dog owners can lpay a fee eave their pets to be looked after for a period of time if they have to travel, etc.

I don't think there is an equivalent to a kennel in a garden for a cat... cats tend to wander more anyway. There are businesses like kennels where cat owners may leave their pet. These are called catteries.
Language Coach

What does kennel mean? #13 (permalink) Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:06 am   What does kennel mean?

Hi,

The thought of kennels is bad enough but the idea of a cattery makes me feel sick. There's a cattery advertised on a dual carriageway that I frequently travel along and every time I go past, I shudder at the whole concept. My worst nightmare is the car breaking down outside and having to ask someone there for help.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does kennel mean? #14 (permalink) Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:15 am   What does kennel mean?

I don't think they'll try to take you as an 'inmate', Alan.
Not enough fur.

:-)
Language Coach

kannel = dog house #15 (permalink) Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:38 am   kannel = dog house

Dear Alan & Beesneees
Thank you for your reply for keeping cats and dogs in kannel.

I have two cats namely blacky and browny, it will sleep in our garden

and it won't disturb me, it will not eat anything unless I give it to them.

It is my pet animal. In our home all like it as it is not doing harm to us.

Thanking you

S.Shanthi

Is seems suitable here? | That car just cut me off?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Is there any text by which not only English grammar?Does it mean that you better leave Mark alone and don't bother him?Difference between "tired" and "fed up"Does at the turn of the century mean the beginning of the century?Shirley has gone to the library?What is a cell phone?its vs. theirFraternal twins vs. identical twinsclearning vs. brushingWhat is a senior citizen?What is a remote control?What does 'branches' mean?We all got wet?