firm courage; strength; bravery; courage; endurance
turmoil
fortitude
xenophobia
solubility

GMAT®® issue: The most effective way for managers to assign work is to divide comp

GMAT Practice tests Increase your GMAT test score with
plus 1.400 GMAT word flash cards
ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the GMAT® Test and MBA Community
I heard SOP is a "make or break factor" in the interview. Is it true? | GMAT® reading comprehension
GMAT® issue: The most effective way for managers to assign work is to divide comp #1 (permalink) Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:53 am   GMAT® issue: The most effective way for managers to assign work is to divide comp

please, give me some suggestion!!! Appreciate!!

“The most effective way for managers to assign work is to divide complex tasks into their simpler component parts. This way, each worker completes a small portion of the task but contributes to the whole.”

According to a statement held by many people, the most effective way for managers is to divide complex tasks into simpler component parts. Simply because under such circumstance, people in a team can choose what he or she is good at, thus the team as a whole will enjoy an improvement in both effect and efficiency. Moreover, division of labor details goals and responsibilities. Since what a certain task do for each team members is like the lighthouse for the sailors in the ocean, people would become more efficient once they were given a specific direction. Additionally, with clear responsibility comes incentive to accomplish mission properly. Indeed, fragmenting work into small units can truly improve the effect and efficiency of the team to some extent.

However, there is no consensus of whether positive or negative role is played by the division of labor in the daily business world. From my point of view, by dividing work into smaller but more specific, managers sometimes actually adversely affect the organization productivity.

First, there are some kinds of tasks which may cause negative output if you allot segments to your team. For example, a work that need sustained communication during the process such as negotiation. It’s impossible for a negotiation team with separated tasks for each member to succeed. Communication is what they need but hindered by the division of task. Second, along with more and more irrational emphasis of division of labor, organization may suffer from the loss of morale and satisfaction. As what is showed in the classic movie Modern Time, overly division can lead to pressure from working and upset caused by repeating the same, even the madness. What’s more, repeat of the same work deter the comprehensive skill development of employee in long term. Third, I think the success of using the “so-called” best way base on a well-established mechanism of coordination. Not the division of work itself necessarily guarantees the outstanding performance of managers.

From the statement above, the conclusion of the issue regarding the best way for managers to assign work depends on multitudes of factors. It’s not appropriate to settle down so easily that the most effective way is to divide the task.
Crownbin

ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the GMAT® Test and MBA Community All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on GMAT Test Forums
Ask Stacy Blackman ConsultingReview a GMAT® Test Prep Book for Kaplan Publishing!Preparing for the GMAT® exam?GMAT® Reading Comprehension:Timing Is Very ImportantGMAT® verbalGMAT® arguement essay: Stronger laws are needed to protect new kinds of home...Use of based on as modifierHow I scored a 760 on the GMAT®Free GMAT® Resources on FacebookOne-Year Course of Study: Accelerate your opportunitiesFree GMAT® Practice tests onlineHow personality is linked to motivation?GMAT® resourse