person who owns and operates a food store
overhead
grocer
feasibility
import

What does 'to know the ropes' mean?

Last but not least-meaning | "down a peg" vs "down a hill"
What does 'to know the ropes' mean? #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:51 am   What does 'to know the ropes' mean?

"Once you know the ......... better, we will give you more responsibility," the boss said to the new trainee.

(a) lines
(b) slips
(c) straps
(d) ropes

"Once you know the ropes better, we will give you more responsibility," the boss said to the new trainee.

Correct answer: (d) ropes

"Once you know the lines better, we will give you more responsibility," the boss said to the new trainee.
_________________________

Does the point of it go that once he get to know with the matter of his work better He will get more responsibility?
Nenad11

Location: Belgrade

What does 'to know the ropes' mean? #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:51 am   What does 'to know the ropes' mean?

That is right.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'to know the ropes' mean? #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:48 pm   What does 'to know the ropes' mean?

"to know the ropes"=

to understand the procedures and processes necessary to perform a task or understand a situation
_________________

soul vs spiritAbout-face vs about-turn.What are household names?Money is the root of all evil...Measured off vs. metered off, test 486, number 5.English Slang Idioms (17)/5difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..."enticement"The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here?If I were you? Subjuntive?She is really broke up about your cousin dyingWhat is the difference between a bank teller and a cashier?Expression: "Yes, I'll hold"