Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to hunt; to pursue; to run over; to race
gain
instrument
course
preface
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Does to detest mean to hate?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
she is going to be mad at you to the nth degree | the results were off the scale
listening exercises
Does to detest mean to hate? #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 02, 2010 15:43 pm   Does to detest mean to hate?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #305 "English Slang Idioms (27)", question 8

He detested lawyers and thought that even the expensive ones were glorified ......... chasers.

(a) money
(b) profit
(c) ambulance
(d) fame

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #305 "English Slang Idioms (27)", answer 8

He detested lawyers and thought that even the expensive ones were glorified ambulance chasers.

Correct answer: (c) ambulance

Your answer was: incorrect
He detested lawyers and thought that even the expensive ones were glorified money chasers.

Does to detest mean to hate?
Nenad11
I'm here quite often ;-)

Does to detest mean to hate? #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 02, 2010 17:06 pm   Does to detest mean to hate?

yes, hate or dislike intensely.
Language Coach

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Does to detest mean to hate? #3 (permalink) Mon Mar 11, 2013 13:51 pm   Does to detest mean to hate?

What does ambulance chasers mean?
Ajay Nahta
I'm here quite often ;-)

Does to detest mean to hate? #4 (permalink) Mon Mar 11, 2013 14:40 pm   Does to detest mean to hate?

Have you googled the term, Ajay?

TOEIC short conversations: An employee invites colleague to lunch
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Does to detest mean to hate? #5 (permalink) Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:36 am   Does to detest mean to hate?

Thanks for directing to the dictionary. Here is what i found:

Ambulance Chaser
An Ambulance Chaser is a term for an unethical lawyer, especially those who represent plaintiffs in personal injury actions.
Ajay Nahta
I'm here quite often ;-)

she is going to be mad at you to the nth degree | the results were off the scale
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
metric measuring system called the Celsius unitMalnutrition is a big problem in developing countries.Meaning of "cover"?What does "dip into my savings" mean?and hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactionsroom onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings accounton the shelf vs. on holdHe had a drinking problem for a while and is now on the wagonon the wagonthrow off the scent/trackThe meaning and the usage of the word "mirage"honors vs motionsIdiom: Made a mistake